Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting Climbers to Lock ons

Guys,

I have two older climbers that are in good condition but I dont use. I would like to convert these to semi permenant lock ons that I can hang all season long.

Has anybody done this and if so can you explain.

Thanks

Several different ways, but a lot of stands have a place to place a ratchet strap for added security once you get up high enough in the tree. Here in Georgia we often go 30-40 feet and that added security is good for peace of mind. You could simply use a ratchet strap or a chain/wire rope with a turnbuckle. Just make sure you are tied off before you test it. Do the foot platform the same way.

Comment

40 ft in the air .

Man you guys have some brass ones. Yes I thought of the same just didnt know if not having the seat and the foot platform welded together would present a problem over the course of the season.

Heck, do take much to find out.

Thanks

Comment

I have a climber I'm going to try and use as a lock on this year. Don't have a single tree fit for a climber. Not sure yet how I'll get it in place yet. Interested in what kind of responses you get here.

Comment

check out what our good friend BIG_IRON crafted up... I've got to give this a shot one day soon!

Comment

That 40' height is for special occasions for me. Definitely don't want to do it every time, and there can be NO BREEZE whatsoever. Gets a little rocky up that high.

The pieces being separate aren't an issue. You can just hang them like you normally would as if you had climbed or add the extra straps as I said earlier. I like doing that so they don't loosen or slip any during storms or high winds when the pines rock back a forth.

Comment

Originally posted by head View Post
              check out what our good friend BIG_IRON crafted up... I've got to give this a shot one day soon!

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=51446

I have a stand just like that. A friend left it on a tree for me, said he didn't want it. I may do the same thing with it.

When I hunt cut over, I'll climb 30-40'. Years ago, I hunted a NF in Mississippi and I used to climb 50-60', depending if I was hunting a hilly cut over or not.

Comment

in my lease, the trees aren't big enough to climb up that high in a regular climber, but a lock on would work. the only thing is a 20 mph wind, feels like a 60 mph wind when you're up 20 ft in a 10" dia pine tree! this fat boy gets a bit nervous when they sway that bad...

i definately like this design though, i like the big swivel seat the best!

Comment

I have often thought the same thing.....I have 3 or 4 climbers and could use 2 or 3 in a lock on type situation. My idea was to get a secondary seat such as...

and use it in conjunction with my climber bottom. This way I would not be modifying my climber and could still use it as a climber later.

However, be careful how you attach those "safety" straps, in order for the climber platform to work, it must have downward weight applied, keep that in mind when you start putting straps on them for safety.....

Comment

in my lease, the trees aren't big enough to climb up that high in a regular climber, but a lock on would work. the only thing is a 20 mph wind, feels like a 60 mph wind when you're up 20 ft in a 10" dia pine tree! this fat boy gets a bit nervous when they sway that bad...

i definately like this design though, i like the big swivel seat the best!
                    Talk about having large stones! I am a lil fella (190-200 lbs.) and I won't climb or put a lock on on a tree less than 12" diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
                      Guys,

I have two older climbers that are in good condition but I dont use. I would like to convert these to semi permenant lock ons that I can hang all season long.

Has anybody done this and if so can you explain.

Thanks
                      I will bet you can trade them for some lock on stands in the Classifieds!

Comment

Originally posted by DrenalinJunkie View Post
                        Talk about having large stones! I am a lil fella (190-200 lbs.) and I won't climb or put a lock on on a tree less than 12" diameter.
                        hey i'll take what i can get... beggers can't be choosers, you know..

last year we had some wind one evening so bad, that i got down, b/c i was getting motion sick pretty bad and didn't want to hurl in my huny hole!

Comment

hey i'll take what i can get... beggers can't be choosers, you know..

last year we had some wind one evening so bad, that i got down, b/c i was getting motion sick pretty bad and didn't want to hurl in my huny hole!
                          I hear ya! Even in a 12" dia. tree it gets pretty tense sometimes.

Comment

We don't have a tree 40' tall around San Angelo!!!!!!!!!

Comment

wish i had trees tall and big enough to put a lock on stand on.

Comment

Working...
                              X