Hog Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knight in Mossy Oak View Post
    How well did your trap work? It looks great...

Comment

Originally posted by TxJustice View Post
      How well did your trap work? It looks great...
      It worked great...we ended up catching over 25 within a week after setting it. One lesson learned though is NOT to shoot and kill the hogs in the trap if you plan on catching anymore soon. If you are able, use a cattle trailer and load the hogs, take them somewhere else to shoot them...reset the trap and you will have more the next day.

Comment

hog trap

This is one of my hobbies, I have built the figure 6 traps, I would use at least 3 20 foot 4x4 6 guage panels, 5 or 6 feet high, t-post driven in the ground every 5 feet, at least 16 inches in the ground. 6 foot posts are fine, leave the top 12 inches of the panels unwired so when the hogs climb or jump to the top it will bend back in and dump the hog back in the trap. overlap the panels at least 4 inches and tie wire every 12 inches. My preference is using an drop gate instead of the figure 6 entrance. Both types work, but using the drop gate no more hogs get in, But no hogs get out either. For more pics and info you can go to the texasboars site look there, I have posted many pics in the photo section there.

Comment

Like this:
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ghenson82 View Post
            Here is a picture of the "6" shape. All you need are t-posts and panels. Are you trying to keep these hogs alive or is this an elimination project?
            I guess I'm just not getting it. Where do they get in? You got any other pictures of the trap?

Comment

First one.......

Comment

Instead of having them push through the door, I hold the end of the panel open with a trip wire to the opposite side, a loaded position. Let's more pigs in. Piece of tripwire on door and piece of tripwire on far wall are barely hooked together in the middle, about 16-18" off the ground. A little diesel corn around the wall and then most of the corn behind the trip. Spring tension closes the panel when the trip is broken. I use a second 1/2 panel as a leaf spring to help hold the panel tight against the wall, and just reverse it every so often to keep the spring tension up.

The most I've caught at one time has been 12..........so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Circletraptbh.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	23865628

Comment

Sweet! This is my first trap ever so I'm curious as to how long itll take. We shall see!

Comment

Don't skimp on the amount of t-post that you use. The more the better! If you don't use enough, it'll be hard to keep a decent sized sow/boar inside. They will ram it over and over until something eventually gives.....trust me on this....I watched it happen first hand.

Good luck.....and don't forget to take plenty of pics.....during the build and also full of piggies.

Greg

Comment

[ATTACH]73412[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73413[/ATTACH]

Comment

thats a lot of wild bacon.... bofly, would like more info on your gate.

Originally posted by alien77721 View Post
                        Did you ever have any problems getting cows in there? How big of a trap are we talking? 4-5 panels or more?
                        We installed a 3 barb wire gate across the front of one of our figure 6 traps to keep the cows out, worked fine.
                        Last edited by Big_gun; 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I would like some more in on that gate as well....

Comment

Bofly, that's a good lookin setup!

Comment

[ATTACH]73840[/ATTACH]

Comment

assuming for the trip was a stick between the doors open... and the piggies can still come in after its tripped?

Comment

Working...
                                X