Finally got our hog trap built...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got our hog trap built...

Today we finally got the hog trap finished. It is oval-shaped with a guillotine gate. We corned it up and it will be ready to check tomorrow sometime.
    Here are a few pics...
    Attached Files

Lookin' good...now we need some LDP's.

Comment

How does the gate work? How is it triggered?
      If I didn't think my opinion was right, then it wouldn't be my opinion. So, any other opinion must be wrong, therefore stupid.

Comment

Really like the trap! Does the door have a catch?

Comment

Thats an awsome trap!! How are you tripping it..I see a rope or wire.?? Dont if you can help it use a rooting stick..any hog can or coon can trip it.
          Use a wire or rope set just above the knee so the little hogs will go in and it may take a week or two but it will get the whole sounder coming in..when a bigger hog hits the wire the gate will fall/ also whats going to keep the hogs from lifting the gate?? I am asking to help and not trying to cut your trap down because I think you did great

Comment

And I hope you can get a horse trailor in there to get them out..if you need a hog getter for the 4 wheeeler let me know..let the fun begin

Comment

Originally posted by Rudey View Post
              How does the gate work? How is it triggered?
              Here is a pic of the trigger...the trigger-stick is placed at the top of the two pipes in the ground supporting the entire weight of the gate. The cable on the trigger-stick goes up and over the gate support beam. Corn is placed on the ground at the trigger-stick and when the hogs are in there eating and rooting around, they knudge the trigger-stick and BAM...the gate falls...with 10 or so hogs in there hopefully.

This photo shows the trigger-stick at the bottem of them two pipes...but it actually is placed right up at the top.
              Attached Files

Comment

That ought to hold a few of-em Thomas . Looks like ya got some good help there too. What kind of trip mechanism are you useing?

Comment

Man, I jsut can't type fast enough!

Comment

Originally posted by TimHicks View Post
                    Thats an awsome trap!! How are you tripping it..I see a rope or wire.?? Dont if you can help it use a rooting stick..any hog can or coon can trip it.
                    Use a wire or rope set just above the knee so the little hogs will go in and it may take a week or two but it will get the whole sounder coming in..when a bigger hog hits the wire the gate will fall/ also whats going to keep the hogs from lifting the gate?? I am asking to help and not trying to cut your trap down because I think you did great
                    Tim...the gate weighs a ton. It's 5 ft X 4 ft...schedule 40 pipe and utility panel, plus the four pipe sides are filled with concrete for additional weight.

The trigger-stick (aka rooting stick) is at the far end of the trap so that it will ensure as many hogs can get in as possible.
                    We are in the process of building a small trailer for the 4-wheeler so we can have our "hog rodeo"...ha!

I will have pics and maybe video of that escapade...lol
                    Last edited by Knight in Mossy Oak; 01-21-2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Thomas if you will take the wire instaed of using that type of trip..pull you some small wire and set it about just over your knee and run from one side ot the other,,may take a week or two but you will clean house

Comment

If you need help I cant be too far..

Comment

Originally posted by TimHicks View Post
                          Thomas if you will take the wire instaed of using that type of trip..pull you some small wire and set it about just over your knee and run from one side ot the other,,may take a week or two but you will clean house
                          Tim...
                          Draw me a picture dude...I ain't following ya... How would I run the wire? We are using a small cable up and over. A wire would have to be run around the entire trap...???

Comment

Looks pretty good, should catch a bunch of piggies!! How deep did you dig the hog panels? If you REALLy want to get the hogs used to it put a bucket feeder or another type of feeder in there and leave it running with the gate open and not set. This should get them used to it and they will all want to go into the trap!!

Comment

call me..972-979-9575 if I dont answer I will call back tom. Its close ot bed time..had problems with the pc and had to deletecookies and such,,heck I was banned from my own web site

Comment

Working...
                              X