Aoudad shot placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoudad shot placement

Headed down south for a free range rifle aoudad hunt. Ideal shot placement location?

Google "aoudad shot placement". I could not figure out how to place it on TBH but bunch of info. I really need to get that critter off my list soon.

Comment

I found this. Hope this helps.

Comment

Right behind the elbow preferably quartering away.

Good luck

Edit: Assumed bow and missed the rifle part somehow. Just put it in the shoulder or just behind and you'll be fine.
        Last edited by 150class; 02-17-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Comment

Man shoot them like everything else, with a hard hitting bullet right threw the front shoulders break them completely down 100%
            Not much running off with broken shoulders and no lungs
            Kiss on shooting tough game and even deer too
            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-17-2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
              Man shoot them like everything else, with a hard hitting bullet right threw the front shoulders break them completely down 100%
              Not much running off with broken shoulders and no lungs
              ^^^ This. They will not go far with both shoulders gone and it doesn't take a large caliber to do it. Mine have all been with a 117 grain 25-06 and I have watched several fall from a 270 as well.

Comment

I depends is my answer. If they are perched on a bluff and might leap to their horn breaking end, I would shoot them in the center of the shoulder and try for DRT. Otherwise, Heart lung woould be fine if you plan to eat them. If you aren't planning to eat the meat, and my guide discouraged it, center punch the shoulders. I shot mine with a .300 WM and 180 partitions in the shoulder at 210 yards. Dropped hard and DRT. Bring a knife sharpener. My guide used razor knives and went through plenty trying to get that hide off. It was a chore.

Comment

Ok, where is the BEST opportunity to do a free range with a bow. I heard there are large ranches in the southern end of the hill country but I don't know any names.

Comment

Texas heart shot or

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As Outback said, you better bring a knife sharpener...that coat is tough as nails.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                        Ok, where is the BEST opportunity to do a free range with a bow. I heard there are large ranches in the southern end of the hill country but I don't know any names.
                        If you want the real deal, go out to the Davis Mtns. We went with Desert Safaris and they were fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          If you want the real deal, go out to the Davis Mtns. We went with Desert Safaris and they were fantastic.
                          I will look them up now. You were successful with a bow?

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                            I don’t know if it’s just dumb luck or what, but we are seeing more aoudad activity every year. We are just north of Uvalde and getting to where it is not uncommon to see aoudad. It’s still not unbelievable consistent but maybe one in 10 hunts we are seeing them.
                            All that said, maybe somewhere around the west to southwest edge of the hill country is a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                              I don’t know if it’s just dumb luck or what, but we are seeing more aoudad activity every year. We are just north of Uvalde and getting to where it is not uncommon to see aoudad. It’s still not unbelievable consistent but maybe one in 10 hunts we are seeing them.
                              All that said, maybe somewhere around the west to southwest edge of the hill country is a good place to start.
                              You would be correct sir. I have seen pictures from places in that area that have FREE range barbary sheep. I was told exactly what you are typing, "they are becoming common in that part of the hill country!" I have emailed the folks that Dale suggested and my buddy is sending me a lead he got last year at SCI that was western hill country. That is a GREAT avatar pic also!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X