No announcement yet.

Marking off raw land boundaries, advice on plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nelson tree paint purple and be done with it. You can flag the boundary lines with flagging if you wish but within a year it'll be dry rotten and fadded, plus anyone who wants in your land is going to walk right in anyways. If you do use flagging, I recommend the Presco texas brand in flo pink or orange.

Comment

I would put heavy steel posts at each corner. If it isn't big and heavy, someone will just move it to where they want the boundary to be, or tear it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
        I would do this and drive t-post on every property angle or corner so you can build your fence later.

Purple paint carrys the same weight as posted signs in a court of law. I would not run any string or wire in timber without post every 10 or 15 feet; you are asking to get someone/something hurt with string or wire where animals or people can not see it.

Paint has to be so high off the ground, strip has to be so wide and so long and only so many feet apart. Google it.
        Yes, this was a concern of mine which is why I considered engineer tape (white, wide, easy to see).

DirtyDave,

No urgency other than hunting season starts soon. I'm just trying to make sure a problem doesn't develop. It's not especially common, but people in this area sometimes hunt unmarked land without permission.

All,

Thanks for the feedback and good info. I'll be sure to check the paint ID.

Comment

I run t post wide with a single strand of guocho barb wire. Less than 45 dollars a roll that is 1320 ft. Keep the walkers honest and four wheelers something to see. Instead of just driving on in. Purple paint on trees and work on getting a real fence up ASAP

Comment

Definitely mark new boundaries. I fenced mine (5 strand b-wire) because the boundaries were hard to follow. Discovered that the neighbor had recently drilled a water well 17' into my property. State required him to plug and redrill. - Water wells have to be 50' from property lines or an exemption granted. State said we had plenty of room for a well so no exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
              Definitely mark new boundaries. I fenced mine (5 strand b-wire) because the boundaries were hard to follow. Discovered that the neighbor had recently drilled a water well 17' into my property. State required him to plug and redrill. - Water wells have to be 50' from property lines or an exemption granted. State said we had plenty of room for a well so no exemption.
              Man, that's a tough and expensive lesson.

BrokenJ,

Yes, fencing will be priority 1 after we get started on the build.

Comment

OK, settled on a temporary / low cost fix.

I put 3 cheap (thin metal, but US made) "no trespassing / private property" signs up on the property line by the road. This way, if they get torn town or messed with I'll know I have an issue.

When the woods clear up just a bit I'm going to put a few across the back.

Comment

I found out real quick how to **** off the neighbors by putting up No Trespassing signs. Had to threaten to beat a neighbors arse for running his mouth about the signs I put up the day I closed on some property. Closed the day before rifle season and corn was spread deep into that property that could be seen from their rifle stands. Neighbor had been hunting this property for years from what I was told. That was a good flip, the arse made me an offer I could not refuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    What does the blue paint represent on timber company trees? Does that have something to do with creek boundaries?
                    Some people layout their SMZ’s with blue paint. It is also a popular boundary line paint

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                      What does the blue paint represent on timber company trees? Does that have something to do with creek boundaries?
                      +1 on jaspermac's info.

I also found this old thread which discusses blue paint markings:

And this: https://www.fs.fed.us/im/directives/...0_a_2009-1.doc

gonehuntin,

That's crazy stuff. Glad you got it worked out.

Comment

Working...
                      X