Need advice Cannon vs. Nikon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice Cannon vs. Nikon

My bride has indicated that she'd like a "nice" camera.

We've been point n shoot people, till now, so I'd like to get her something that is easy to use, as a beginner, but can grow as her photo skills develop.

I know there are brand loyalists, just like with any product, but I'm looking for opinions from those of you that have had your hands on both. Which do you think would be the easiest for a beginner? If you care to elaborate with model numbers, that would be a bonus. As always, I want to get the best that I can, within a reasonable range ... say $1500, max.

Thanks in advance, for your help.

I have a Nikon D3100 that I bought instead of the Cannon T2i to see how interested I would get in photography. That was a little over a year ago. I now wish I would have purchased the Nikon D7000 as an intermediate type DSLR.

The Cannon T3i is getting all the hype for beginners, but I love my D3100.

I originally spent under 1K for the body, a 18-55 lens and a 55-300 lens.

I have purchased several additional lenses, my new favorite being a 18-200 f/3.5-5.6G at $850 and a 50mm @ 2.8 for $200.

The last three beginners that I know personally, have purchased the Cannon T3i.
    Last edited by Chad C; 04-09-2012, 10:51 AM.

Comment

You can't go wrong with either, and there is no advantage one way or the other as best I can tell. Whichever you start with and get familiar with will serve you well and allow all the room for growth you'd ever hope for.

Comment

^^^^yep. Kinda a loaded question.

Comment

canon, it will work better with your little hands.

Comment

I shoot a Canon but both are great camera makers. It just happened that the Canon was more affordable at the time I bought it. Costco has some great package deals on cameras from time to time with great lenses to boot.

Also you might check with a local camera shop and see if they'll let you rent one of each with a comparable lens to compare.

Comment

Both brands will serve you well. My advice is to have Tina go to the camera store with you and "play" with both brands. One may "feel" better, just like a bow. Pick that camera/lens within your price range. UNLESS someone close to you shoots the other kind. Then go with that one. You will have both a mentor for that camera and someone from whom you can borrow lenses. Also remember that great glass is forever. Most camera bodies are almost obsolete in five years.

Comment

The Nikon D7000 is a great starter camera all the way to PRO use. I have always loved the D90, but the D7000 is just loaded out and very easy to learn on.

I would personally buy a used D90 and a few good lens.

Comment

Same good advise on this old thread Kevin, Its helped me.

Comment

Not promoting my brand over another because I don't have any experience with the others. I have the D7000 and I went to it from a D80. Worlds of difference between the two. The speed on this camera is amazing and it is feature packed as well as having a simple lay out that is easy to understand. It wasn't long after I bought my D80 that I was wishing I had bought something a little better and faster. My point is buy enough camera that you can grow into it rather than growing out of it.

There are many reviews out there but as said above you probably ought to go and lay your hands on them and see what feels more natural for you. Try and go to a specialty store that can walk you through what each particular one you are looking at is capable of doing and what features it has. Most major brands are excellent and offer more today than the pro models did just 10 years ago. Buy quality glass, that is something I didn't do at first but once I used a quality lens it changed my whole out look on the phrase.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Do you know anyone around you that you will be learning from? Or anyone that has a digital camera?

That's how I picked my camera, the guy I learned from had a Nikon, plus it fit better in my hands.

Comment

I thought these photos might entice you to look at the Nikon......lol. I'm currently using a Nikon D7000 (which I love) and my daughter picked up my old Nikon D60 (which she loves) - I recently had my SIL from Scotland visiting and she shoots with a Cannon T2i and has a better lens than I do, however my body & lens combination definitely out performed hers - my 70-300 is a sigma lens I picked up for 150 dollars and she has the Cannon brand lens, paid much more. Anyway, it's always good to get advice, but I've learned a lot from personal experience. I hope you find a great camera for your bride.......photography is great fun!

My little nature photographer - makes me smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud's Darlin' View Post
                          I thought these photos might entice you to look at the Nikon......lol. I'm currently using a Nikon D7000 (which I love) and my daughter picked up my old Nikon D60 (which she loves) - I recently had my SIL from Scotland visiting and she shoots with a Cannon T2i and has a better lens than I do, however my body & lens combination definitely out performed hers - my 70-300 is a sigma lens I picked up for 150 dollars and she has the Cannon brand lens, paid much more. Anyway, it's always good to get advice, but I've learned a lot from personal experience. I hope you find a great camera for your bride.......photography is great fun!

My little nature photographer - makes me smile.
                          Nice!

She is a cutie.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                            Nice!

She is a cutie.
                            X2

Comment

You can't go wrong with either and there will always be lenses you can add to either for a long time. I use Canon and will not switch just due to the amount of lenses I've accumulated and two camera bodies. My brother and father got great deals on Nikon Kits w/ 2 lenses from Costco or Sams - can't remember which one.

Comment

Working...
                              X