Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Camera/Lens Combo for about $1200-1500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Camera/Lens Combo for about $1200-1500?

I hope to be in the market soon for a new Camera. I would like to be able to take stills and video with it. I have a 16 month old daughter and I would like to be able to get her in action and not have to wait for the thing to focus like my current camera. I want to use it for many years. Sports, Hunting, Vacations, Christmas, etc... What is the best for the money?

Should I buy new only or is it safe to consider used?

Before I start, let me just say I am NOT calling you out or trying to be rude, just trying to maybe save you some bucks.

I have always had the opinion that if someone just wants a good camera, to take good pictures, they shoud buy a high end Point and Shoot.
    DSLR's are worth the money because they give you the freedom to control how you want to expose with manual settings. And to take pictures creatively. That's why we pay the big bucks for them.

But, Honestly, if someone buys a DSLR and doesn't put the time to learn how to use the camera to it's full potential, then that person is just wasting money. (Not that this is your situation)
    Buying a DSLR and leaving it in auto mode is like buying a fast car and driving 20mph, you just won't use it to it's full potential.

1200-1500 dollars will give you a camera body and an average lens, maybe 2 that will take pictures for you, good pictures.

If you are stuck on getting a DSLR, then I can't change your mind. I would reccommend one of these as an alternative around $400 that will perform similiar to a DSLR:

Olympus SZ-30MR
    Nikon Coolpix P500

(and they both have video too)

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
      Before I start, let me just say I am NOT calling you out or trying to be rude, just trying to maybe save you some bucks.

I have always had the opinion that if someone just wants a good camera, to take good pictures, they shoud buy a high end Point and Shoot.
      DSLR's are worth the money because they give you the freedom to control how you want to expose with manual settings. And to take pictures creatively. That's why we pay the big bucks for them.

But, Honestly, if someone buys a DSLR and doesn't put the time to learn how to use the camera to it's full potential, then that person is just wasting money. (Not that this is your situation)
      Buying a DSLR and leaving it in auto mode is like buying a fast car and driving 20mph, you just won't use it to it's full potential.

1200-1500 dollars will give you a camera body and an average lens, maybe 2 that will take pictures for you, good pictures.

If you are stuck on getting a DSLR, then I can't change your mind. I would reccommend one of these as an alternative around $400 that will perform similiar to a DSLR:

Olympus SZ-30MR
      Nikon Coolpix P500

(and they both have video too)
      I would have to ditto Hillary's comments. I have shot the "big gear" for years and she is absolutely correct in saying that if you just use the Auto or Program modes you are wasting your money.
      I have always carried a good point and shoot with me because the "big gear" is not always handy to carry. This past fall I purchased a Canon S95 which is their high end point and shoot. It is chock full of features and is about the size of a pack of cigarettes except thinner. One of the main reasons I purchased it is because it has the ability to shoot RAW format, which is important to me for post processing work. That camera cost me about $400 dollars and does video as well. I can honestly say that for most of the population out there, even this camera more than they would need or ever use. I am a Nikon shooter and since that time, Nikon has come out with a high end point and shoot which shoot RAW format as well and I believe the model number is the P7000. Another consideration is the size between the point and shoot market and DSLR market which would be something like the Canon G12.
      Don't get caught in the trap of the "bigger is better" mindset. Unless you want to go beyond just the auto mode, seriously consider a higher end point and shoot. I have several friends that went the bigger is better route and 90% of the time their camera gear is sitting in the closet at home.
      If money is no object etc. by all means go big, but as another serious shooter, at least consider and look at a higher end point and shoot like the Nikon P7000 or the Canon S95.
      Good luck in your decision and most of all, get out there and shoot, shoot, shoot!

Comment

I thank you both for the feedback. I wouldn't say that I am dead set on a point and shoot or a DLSR. But here is what I don't like in many DLSR's. The Zoom. I want to be able to have a big Zoom lens, and be able to manually focus it. I do also plan on intending to learn whatever camera I get. I like the Idea of changing the F-stops and exposures. We have a decent point and shoot now that we will carry sometimes.

So, maybe some higher end Point and Shoot cameras will do this, I just am not sure on what market is out there. I have said I wanted a 7D, but it appears I will have to pony up some more money if I get one of those.

Comment

Another thing to think about is that you can get much better quality lenses for most DSLRs than what you get on the point and shoots. Even if you are going to stay in Auto or Program mode all the time on a DSLR, this is still an advantage. It's an EXPENSIVE advantage, but the image quality will be better.

Look at the Canon 60D and the T2i (what I shoot). The T2i is an entry level version of the 7D. Plastic body instead of metal (pros and cons to each), and it doesn't shoot as many frames per second as the 7D. Controls are laid out differently, and the 7D is beefier (pros and cons to that too). I'm very happy with the T2i for several hundred dollars less. Leaves you more money for more and/or higher quality lenses. Lens quality translates directly to image quality probably more so than the particular camera body that you are looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
            I thank you both for the feedback. I wouldn't say that I am dead set on a point and shoot or a DLSR. But here is what I don't like in many DLSR's. The Zoom. I want to be able to have a big Zoom lens, and be able to manually focus it. I do also plan on intending to learn whatever camera I get. I like the Idea of changing the F-stops and exposures. We have a decent point and shoot now that we will carry sometimes.

So, maybe some higher end Point and Shoot cameras will do this, I just am not sure on what market is out there. I have said I wanted a 7D, but it appears I will have to pony up some more money if I get one of those.
            If you want big zoom lenses then DSLR is the way you want to go as the point and shoots do not have the focal zoom range that you probably want.

Comment

However, that big zoom lens will run you more than the amount you are looking to spend on the camera itself. But if you do get the DSLR, you have that option available in the future. Gets expensive b/c one lens leads to another and to another.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                Another thing to think about is that you can get much better quality lenses for most DSLRs than what you get on the point and shoots. Even if you are going to stay in Auto or Program mode all the time on a DSLR, this is still an advantage. It's an EXPENSIVE advantage, but the image quality will be better.

Look at the Canon 60D and the T2i (what I shoot). The T2i is an entry level version of the 7D. Plastic body instead of metal (pros and cons to each), and it doesn't shoot as many frames per second as the 7D. Controls are laid out differently, and the 7D is beefier (pros and cons to that too). I'm very happy with the T2i for several hundred dollars less. Leaves you more money for more and/or higher quality lenses. Lens quality translates directly to image quality probably more so than the particular camera body that you are looking at.
                x2, on the t2i or now the t3i we have a t2i and it works great for our 14 month old daughter. we have the standard lens and a 75-300 for when i get to use it at the deer lease. we have about 1100 invested in everything.

Comment

You can get a Canon 70-200mm f/4L non-IS lens for about $500 used in great shape. They're excellent lenses. The L series is their top of the line lens.

Comment

Sam's has some nice Canon kits.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post

Guess I wasted my money, I leave mine in auto modes and it takes better pics then any point and shoot camera I've ever owned.

But then again I have a fast car that never sees 5mph over the speedlimit.

Comment

Is SAMs the best place to buy? I'll have to look at the 60d and the t2 and t3.

What are the pros and cons y'all were talking about above?
                        Also, with these other models, can I get cases and wraps. I have a friend with a 7d and he has a neoprene camo skin for it. I'd like that or black. My wife tends to drop things.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                          Is SAMs the best place to buy? I'll have to look at the 60d and the t2 and t3.

What are the pros and cons y'all were talking about above?
                          Also, with these other models, can I get cases and wraps. I have a friend with a 7d and he has a neoprene camo skin for it. I'd like that or black. My wife tends to drop things.
                          they make a ton of accessories for canon camera. for the money and the application yall will be using it for the t3i is a awesome camera. go look at best buy also.

Comment

look at the following places as well - save tax $$'s for sure

Comment

There was a suggestion about a book to read about takin pics.. What was it , I can't seem to find it with the search

I sure would like to learn to take it out of auto but this stuff is Greek to me

Comment

Working...
                              X