Keeping cows off of your property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping cows off of your property?

On one side of my new property there is a pasture with cattle. In one section, the fence is down and I'm starting to get a few cows coming over. It's not a huge deal now, but once I start feeding closer to the season, I'm going to want to keep them out. If I can figure out who owns the land I'll offer to help him mend the fence. But I was wondering, does the owner have a responsibility to maintain his fence? I'm hoping he'll do it, or let me help him, but if he refuses, do I have any recourse to make him do it?

In for this one.

Common sense would say he needs to fence his livestock onto his property.

Comment

I was told Texas is a fence OUT State as far as cattle.

Last edited by wilded; 06-19-2016, 04:16 PM.

Comment

My understanding is that Texas is an "open range" state, meaning that the owner of the cattle does not have to legally keep his fence up. Google it. I don't agree with it, but I've read on too many court cases showing it to be true. The good news is most cattle guys will keep their fence up if they are notified of an issue. Definitely not all though.

Comment

Differs from county to county in Texas. Some counties are fence in and some are fence out. Good neighbors usually help each other and split cost.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
            Differs from county to county in Texas. Some counties are fence in and some are fence out. Good neighbors usually help each other and split cost.
            ^This.

Comment

in the time spent thinking and talking about it, you could have fixed it.

But seriously, good on you for being pro-active and helpful if needed.

Comment

I had a feeling it would be an interesting answer.

County by county ruling....hmmmm.....

Comment

I know in Grayson county a guy I know has trouble with neighbors cows getting on him regularly, sheriff said it's up to him to fence them out. Then again he can leave his gate open as it's not incumbent upon him to contain the cows....at the cost of cattle I'm sure the neighbor of yours would be more than happy to fix the fence to keep his cows in. Worst case scenario, since you said small area of fence, use 12volt powered hot wire with solar charger for 12volt battery.

Comment

If you made t bones and ribeyes out of one, he would get the hint. If not, you might just want to leave it down...

Comment

This

We split all of ours with our neighbors anytime something needs fixed or replaced. They have cattle and we don't but we still split the cost of fences

Comment

This is Wood County in NE Texas. I'll check with the extension agent tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by BoneDigger View Post

If I can figure out who owns the land I'll offer to help him mend the fence.

But I was wondering, does the owner have a responsibility to maintain his fence?

I'm hoping he'll do it, or let me help him, but if he refuses, do I have any recourse to make him do it?
                          Originally posted by Fishndude View Post

In the time spent thinking and talking about it, you could have fixed it.
                          You Betcha!

Just mend the fence yourself and be done with it.

Comment

Exactly in a lot of your heavily farmed counties it closed range, in your less farm based counties it is usually open range. Not sure if there is a resource to be had online but your ag agent for the county maybe able to help you out. County clerk and sheriffs office maybe able to point you in the right direction as well.
                            Last edited by westtexducks; 06-19-2016, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Problem is, I'm not familiar with building barbed wire fences and it looks like it's about a 50 or 60 ft section that's down. I'm sure it's not hard, and I'd love to learn how, but at this time I know nothing about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X