Is Texas a fence in or fence out state?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Texas a fence in or fence out state?

I can't find a clear answer on this. We have a lease in Karnes county and the neighboring landowners cattle keep getting onto our lease due a beat up old fence. Who is responsible for the upkeep of the fence?

I think it is up to the county.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
      Check with your local Sheriff's Office.

Comment

Thanks-info seems to be more accurate on here than the Google. I will try the sheriff and/or the county clerks office tomorrow.

Comment

The county livestock officer will be your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
            correct. if its a free-range county (Real County is free range, for instance) then its up to you to fence your property out from livestock that is allowed to roam free range.

I'd be willing to bet that karnes county is not free range and thus is the livestock owners responsibility to keep them confined to a certain property

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
              correct. if its a free-range county (Real County is free range, for instance) then its up to you to fence your property out from livestock that is allowed to roam free range.

I'd be willing to bet that karnes county is not free range and thus is the livestock owners responsibility to keep them confined to a certain property
              I betting this is correct. I know Atscosa county is not free range. Usually the neighbors and I chip in together to keep fences repaired

Comment

Thought I would be able to find a county listing, but I was unable. But HERE is some good information.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                  Check with your local Sheriff's Office.
                  Check with YOUR landowner to get the problem fixed and have him check with the county/sheriff or better yet the neighbor.

otherwise:

More than likely they will just say something like "oh it is some of those deer hunters complaining again"

But if you just want the answer to "Fence-in or Fence-out" you might get the answer from the county.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                    Check with YOUR landowner to get the problem fixed and have him check with the county/sheriff or better yet the neighbor.

otherwise:

More than likely they will just say something like "oh it is some of those deer hunters complaining again"

But if you just want the answer to "Fence-in or Fence-out" you might get the answer from the county.
                    Landowner lives 200 miles away, elderly and we have leased for 25 years so prefers to have us handle this stuff. I notified her of the situation. I spoke with the county clerk and sheriff and was told that it is a "fence in" county. The hard part is getting in touch with the landowner that has the cattle-haven't seen anyone on the property in 10 years. I did get an address and will send him a letter. I plan on fixing the fence myself but need to figure out a way to get the cattle back to his side...
                    Thanks for the advice-only took 10 minutes once Y'all told me who to call.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                      Landowner lives 200 miles away, elderly and we have leased for 25 years so prefers to have us handle this stuff. I notified her of the situation. I spoke with the county clerk and sheriff and was told that it is a "fence in" county. The hard part is getting in touch with the landowner that has the cattle-haven't seen anyone on the property in 10 years. I did get an address and will send him a letter. I plan on fixing the fence myself but need to figure out a way to get the cattle back to his side...
                      Thanks for the advice-only took 10 minutes once Y'all told me who to call.
                      Sounds quite possible it is a non-resident owner on the other side of the fence as well; you may be dealing with a lease grazer. If that is the case it should be in the contract whether he or the landowner has responsibility for fencing.

Comment

Working...
                      X