Big A Feeder from Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
    My issue is for that kind of money, you should be able to buy a drum, leg kit, motor and better lid and have a solid feeder that takes less time to build, for the same money or most likely much less
    650# of corn versus 300# is reason enough for me. I've used cheap Moultree & Remington timers forever with no issues, except I once sprayed wasp killer in the box. That killed the timer. I'm replacing all of my 55 gallon feeders or welding half a drum on top. Not sure yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
      Feeders and feeder motors are a lot like other things you buy, you get what you pay for. I personally like a 112 volt motor and a barrel and motor that are at least over my head when it is cranked up. To me it scatters the corn farther and better and keeps the deer around in the pen longer. it also help with other varmits. Since I have gone to the crank up style feeders that are well off the ground I have eliminated the coon problem.
      Originally posted by hillcountryhunter View Post
      that's some serious corn throwing power!!!
      That must be one big battery or a ton of small ones

Comment

ive got the low boy fdr from academy. walk up to it and dump the corn in. I just don't like the idea of climbin a ladder to fill fdrs.

Comment

I have 2 ... 1 for over 8 years... I replaced timer and motors on both.

I am very pleased. 1 runs year round.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
            That must be one big battery or a ton of small ones
            Sorry. Fat fingers make for a lot of mistakes. Still a 12 volt will throw may farther than sny 6 volt period. I like my deer to stay a while rather than have one dominant doe eat every kernsl that is thrown from a brand new 6 volt feeder.

Comment

If you buy one of those feeders.....make darn sure you connect the chains to each leg as shown in the picture. Saw a lease member climb the ladder on one and the leg gave way. He did not have a chain on his feeder legs. The leg collapsed and it took some welding skills to fix it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	MFDC0518-509346610_1475345969870.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	24477049a guy in Denton makes these for 250. 350 for a double barrel with one gravity fed protein barrel. Added a sunslinger from amazon for $55. They are hog proof. Should last a long time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I've had one converted to protein for about 4 years now. Bought it assembled and discounted after season.

I heard stories of moisture so I caulked and sprayed the inside with flex seal.

The ladder is rusting out and will need to be rebuilt this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Go all Seasons

Comment

this is the one that I just put out a few weeks ago. Week later this feeder has been covered up with deer, turkey and pigs per the camera.

A bit more than the ones you are looking at, but it already has 12 volt and solar panel. Stand and fill is a lot better than standing on the back of my 4 wheeler too. I just wanted something that I knew would be still there and working after making a 3 hour drive.

Comment

We are running around 7 of the big A's. We love them. We have replaced the timers. I put 12 volt systems on mine. We have not had any moisture issues at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                            this is the one that I just put out a few weeks ago. Week later this feeder has been covered up with deer, turkey and pigs per the camera.

A bit more than the ones you are looking at, but it already has 12 volt and solar panel. Stand and fill is a lot better than standing on the back of my 4 wheeler too. I just wanted something that I knew would be still there and working after making a 3 hour drive.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=620541
                            A bit more, it's twice as much. I agree it's a better feeder but if I was on a budget I would go with the BIG A feeder. I had four of them, the first one I bought back in 2008 finally gave it up this year as it rusted out. Partly my fault for not taking care of the rust spots early on. The weather down here by the bay is very hard on metal. I did replace the timer right off as it was junk on the first one. The other three that I bought between 2010-2011 are still going strong and still all have the original motors and timers. As someone noted above, make sure you use the chain to chain the legs together or make sure you T-Post each leg. I recommend doing both because the chain will eventually rust out as all of mine have. I drive the T-Post in at the same angle as the legs so if you happen to fall while filling the feeder you don't land on a T-Post. I fill all mine from the back of the truck as it's much easier then climbing the ladder. If you use the ladder, make sure to inspect it each time because it does tend to rust out easily. One thing to remember, These feeders change a little from year to year so no matter what everyone says about the ones they bought in the past, it may not be true about the new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                              A bit more, it's twice as much. I agree it's a better feeder but if I was on a budget I would go with the BIG A feeder. I had four of them, the first one I bought back in 2008 finally gave it up this year as it rusted out. Partly my fault for not taking care of the rust spots early on. The weather down here by the bay is very hard on metal. I did replace the timer right off as it was junk on the first one. The other three that I bought between 2010-2011 are still going strong and still all have the original motors and timers. As someone noted above, make sure you use the chain to chain the legs together or make sure you T-Post each leg. I recommend doing both because the chain will eventually rust out as all of mine have. I drive the T-Post in at the same angle as the legs so if you happen to fall while filling the feeder you don't land on a T-Post. I fill all mine from the back of the truck as it's much easier then climbing the ladder. If you use the ladder, make sure to inspect it each time because it does tend to rust out easily. One thing to remember, These feeders change a little from year to year so no matter what everyone says about the ones they bought in the past, it may not be true about the new ones.
                              Not exactly double. Got to compare apples to apples. I can sell ya a barrel for $25 then say that you are spending 10x. Doesn't mean it is a good deal.

Most on this thread recommended replacing timer, adding a 12 volt box and varmint cage, then add a solar cell. So go ahead and add it up then say it is double. And really the one that requires the chain on the leg I'm not sure I like at all. Sure seems like an accident in the future.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Working...
                                X