A good Generator under $500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good Generator under $500

been contemplating getting a generator for a while but I almost NEVER need/use one... This cold front was the straw that broke the camel's back....
    ****I WILL NOT SEE MY KIDS SUFFER ANY MORE****

Since we don't use a generator often I don't want to spent more than $500.

What; 1) Brand; 2) Model/Specifications; 3) Place, to buy a generator (preferably dual fuel) that will crank up the TV, internet modem and an electric space heater (maybe two)?

I was prepared for a normal cold front and maybe a few hours of black out, but not for 51 hours of no power and more than a week of freezing. I had the Mr. Heater, propane lanterns (which also provide heat) 4 Propane tanks and twelve 1 pound propane canisters. Food and firewood was not an issue.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ATI; 02-18-2021, 09:51 AM.

I'd check FB Marketplace after it warms up. People have a short memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
      I'd check FB Marketplace after it warms up. People have a short memory.
      what brand, model and specifications should I look for?

Comment

Throw your $500 budget away and get anything Honda

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          Thank you!

Please provide some details, there are at least 15 different Honda Generator models on the first search.

Comment

Who's really suffering? If you are mostly concerned with TV and internet (which were listed first before space heaters) it sounds like you are just sick of entertaining your spawn LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
              Get as big a Honda as they make. My Gen is 20 years old and cranked right up and ran my whole house when wired into my fuse panel. Ran 15 hrs/tank. I bought it at Sams for $999.

Comment

Originally posted by WrecklessRanch View Post
                Who's really suffering? If you are mostly concerned with TV and internet (which were listed first before space heaters) it sounds like you are just sick of entertaining your spawn LOL
                I didn't post this to be judged, if you don't have a suggestion read and move on.

Kids stuck at home want some type of entertainment after they're bored out of their minds. TV and Internet will keep the entertained. You either don't have kids or are just a smart@$$

Comment

Originally posted by coogfan View Post
                  Get as big a Honda as they make. My Gen is 20 years old and cranked right up and ran my whole house when wired into my fuse panel. Ran 15 hrs/tank. I bought it at Sams for $999.
                  Thank you!

Comment

own an old honda and a 9500 watt firman which is new. No problems either one.

Comment

Originally posted by bulltx50 View Post
                      own an old honda and a 9500 watt firman which is new. No problems either one.
                      Thank you,
                      Costco has Firman, Cabela's and HomeDepot have Champion, those are the only two I've been looking at. Haven't seen who carries Honda.

Honestly I don't even know what all the numbers and Wats and amps that describe each generators mean!!!
                      Last edited by ATI; 02-18-2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

ive had an Harbor Freight Predator 8750 generator for 5 years in March and has never missed a beat. We only use it 2-3 times a year. It should be around the $500 mark. If not theyll go on sale and get to that mark.

Comment

I know Honda is the gold standard. We have several and they are great machines. We also have a briggs Storm responder generator that is 13 years old and has been great..... starts on 1st or second pull every time..... it is the 8250 starting and I think 6000 or 6500 running....We have been very happy with it and it is a little more budget friendly than the Honda's..... generators are like guns.... different sizes and features for different circumstances....you may find out that one is just not enough

Comment

If you don’t think you’ll use it that much, I’d get the Predator 4375 for $429. Or the Predator 6500 for $549, just need to break them in correctly by changing the oil three times in the first 3-4 hours of use, also try to use ethanol free gas/fuel stabilizer. Both of these are Harbor Frieght. Since they are conventional Generator, not the the inverter generator, I would highly recommend using surge protectors with them.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                              Thank you!

Please provide some details, there are at least 15 different Honda Generator models on the first search.
                              Go online and search for generator sizing calculator. Once you complete that, compare the results to the Honda GEN that meets your needs. I'd plan for about a 20% fudge factor too.

Comment

Working...
                              X