Trek to Quebec 1.0 - Coonazz group w/ graphic pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trek to Quebec 1.0 - Coonazz group w/ graphic pics

I wish I was good at these hunt recaps, because I really enjoy reading the great ones posted here on TBH.

First - Thanks a ton to Jim (Keep). What a heck of a guy. Helped me and my group out a immensely and turned me on to this pourvoirie. A huge "Thank You!"
    Thanks for the use of the gear, the crabs, the advice, and other odds & ends.

We all had a great time!
    3 out of 4 took home nice bears. Met some great people, and made some unbelievable memories that will last a lifetime.

Eric, Eric and David are incredibly hospitable and great people that I now call friends. Can't wait to do it all again next year.

The hunting was a bit slow at first. As others in the 9.1 thread have described, the weather wasn't cooperating. Temps were cold until Wednesday. That's when the action picked up. The other group of hunters shot 2 bears and my buddy Dennis (on the right) shot his first bear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dennis left1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	25019155

Name:	a.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	25019156

Thursday night is when all the drama happened.
    My dad (74 years old) was hunting with a crossbow. After the evening hunt, Dennis and him were about to go decock it by shooting a field point arrow into the foam target. Dad picked up the crossbow with his right hand from the picnic table and had a flashlight in his left hand. Unbeknownst to my dad, a broadhead arrow fell from his crossbow quiver and lodged into the ground leaving the broadhead point angling up. My dad's next step forced the broadhead right in his leg and out the other side!!

Name:	leg1.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	25019157

Name:	leg2.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	25019158

We rushed him down to the Forestville Hospital and they promptly took him by ambulance to another hospital about an hour north. Around 6am, they decided to pull the arrow out and to our surprise, there was no arterial damage, but a huge risk of infection. They wanted to do surgery immediately or have him fly back to Dallas to have surgery. Being that my french isn't all that great and my propensity to dislike socialized medicine, we opted for the latter. Got him on a plane and had him in Baylor Dallas almost 26 hours after it happened. To make a long story short, after being on a constant IV antibiotic drip, they finally let him go home last night and just has to take oral antibiotics going forward. Throughout this entire ordeal, he only took 1 pain pill and it was only because I nagged the heck out him to take it because he kept refusing. We were all amazed (still are) how freak an accident this was and also - how little force is needed for so much penetration.

BTW - Dad was laughing and joking the entire time. First thing he said to me when I got to him was - "The Indians got me!"

Dad insisted on 2 things.
    1. - Don't tell my mom. She was in the Bahamas on a cruise and he didn't want to worry her.

2. - I have to stay and hunt the last two days to get my bear.

So, I honored both wishes. My wife took care of picking dad up and taking him to Baylor while I tried to get my head right and finish hunting.

Didn't get the job done on Friday night. Saturday we bought some live snow crabs and I boiled them up Coonazz style with some Cajun Blaze. (Pic is my buddy Dennis.)

Name:	blaze.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	25019161

During the last minute of the last day, I had a nice boar come out to bait and I let it fly.

Name:	bear1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	25019159

After taking pics, I finished the last night by eating the crabs and grilling a huge moose steak under the stars.

Name:	feast.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	25019160

Can't wait to do it all over again (minus the hospital part) next year.

Ouch!!

Comment

Congrats on the bears!

Comment

glad your dad is ok. Looks like a great trip otherwise.

Comment

Holly smokes, your poor dad. That was gruesome, but a good reminder for us to all be careful.

Congrats on the bears.

Comment

Ouch! Glad your Dad is ok. Congrats on the bear

Comment

Congrats and OUCH!!!!

Comment

"Indians Got Me" that is classic. Great recap!

Congrats on a great trip and glad your dad is on the mend.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Congrats. Glad ur pops is ok.

Comment

holy cow! glad your dad is ok! I can't imagine the shock he was in when he realized what had happened.

Comment

Glad to hear he is doing well! I had been wondering about him. Glad you were able to touch the bear!

Comment

Glad your dad is mending but since no one else is asking i will, What broad head is that ? LOL

Comment

Sweet LDP's of the beer and your dad's leg j/k, glad he's ok! That's a crazy story!

Comment

I thought the graphic part was gonna be a bear pic! Made me shiver!!! Yuck!!! Glad he's ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X