Feeder Pen Design- Square or Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the perfect feeder pen Square or round and what size? Please start your debat.

Round. Square makes for wasted space and less strength.

Comment

How many panels ?

Comment

Round - A Buck will corner a young buck and gore it to death. At least 12 panels....

Comment

Neither. Hang it high with a good critter cage and your done.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
            Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
              But then the cows eat the corn and not the deer.

Square are easiest to build so that is what we do. Or really big triangles.

Comment

Round 12 panels

Comment

I heard if you make it round the hogs will keep walking all the way around it in circles trying to find an end non stop to get in. If its square they'll see the break in it and try breaking in.... Old man talk but makes sense

Comment

Octagon

Comment

I've done both, but the square configs are easier to setup. For mine, I use a 32' x 48' config, or two 16' panels by three 16' panels. Inside my pen I have an 800 lb corn feeder and a 1,000lb protein feeder. I like larger pens.

I prefer using a feeding pen to keep the hogs out. Also, I have never seen nor captured any bucks (on cameras), cornering another buck inside/outside of a pen, nor on a fence line. I am sure it could happen, but I have never seen it in person or on any camera since we began using them in 1999 with 35mm film.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                        I heard if you make it round the hogs will keep walking all the way around it in circles trying to find an end non stop to get in. If its square they'll see the break in it and try breaking in.... Old man talk but makes sense
                        This.......works for cows too.

Comment

Interesting!! I was wondering, now I know!!

Comment

I would go with round or octagon.

Comment

I prefer using a feeding pen to keep the hogs out. Also, I have never seen nor captured any bucks (on cameras), cornering another buck inside/outside of a pen, nor on a fence line. I am sure it could happen, but I have never seen it in person or on any camera since we began using them in 1999 with 35mm film.[/QUOTE]

Our Bio warned me of this 20ish years ago. He described it "back up - back up - jump" and the young one gets away. We have never found a gored deer in our feed or protein pens. {25ish}

Seems to work.....

Comment

Working...
                              X