Ultimate question: Ceramic Smoker or Pellet Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate question: Ceramic Smoker or Pellet Smoker

There is probably a thread on this topic already but it’s New Years and I said what the hell. What would the green screen want? A ceramic smoker (Komodo Joe or Big Green Egg) or a pellet smoker (traeger, rec Tec)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big fan of my pellet. But if I had the option I’d have both

Comment

Neither! HNY😁

Comment

Gravity fed! Best of all 3 worlds. I love my kamado, but getting consistent smoke production can be challenging. The pellet meats I’ve had I wasn’t all that impressed with.

Gravity fed seems like the best of all worlds

Comment

I really like my pellet smoker with gas sear box attached.

The key to pellet smokers is to use quality pellets.

Prime Rib - injected with garlic butter, smoked 5 hours, then seared on all sides.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Maddox; 01-01-2022, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I have a egg, but thinking about adding a pellet grill just for ease of quick cooks.

Comment

So far it looks like pellet smoker is a winner.

Comment

Another trick I have learned after smoking 32 briskets on a pellet smoker last year was to smoke longer and lower temp for best results. Usually start mine at 190-200 for a while then bump it after i wrap. Wont ever be as good as a brisket on an offset but I don't always have time to fire that up and I also have the GMG Davey Crocket and its perfect for camping trips.

Brands are a rabbit hole to go down. "madscientistbbq" just released a video on youtube comparing a few different brand pellet smokers. I have tried several different types (they all have a little different programming built into the controllers) of pellet smokers from a Yoder to a homemade...I prefer the greenmountaingrill with Pitboss a close second. I did not like Traeger but they are easy to use just like any pellet smoker. Rectec is also very good imo.

Just experiment with pellets until you find one you like. Just like any smoker offset or pellet, the final product has alot to do with the guy holding the beer. Yes a quality high end smoker is nice to have but even Aaron Franklin can out smoke me on his original New Braunfels smoker(he still uses it occasionally).

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                  Big fan of my pellet. But if I had the option I’d have both
                  The more the better!

Comment

Both.

Comment

I have both, my Blazin Grill Works is 10-1 vs. BGE. They both have their uses and easy to cook on with great results, pellet grill is so convenient. FWIW, I sold my offset to buy the pellet grill.

Comment

i tried the pellet grill. grilla grill. it was a waste of $1200. crappy food all the way around. ill put my BGE up against any pellet smoker

Comment

I have both.

Started with a Classic Kamado Joe several years ago, added a Pitt Boss 1000SC last year. I didn’t like the way the PB cooked a whole turkey (not enough height to cook one standing up) so I bought a Green Mountain Peak Prime about 7 weeks ago. Same grill as the Jim Bowie model, they just renamed it.

I’ll keep the Kamado around as a just in case, but the pellet grill is what’s being used for pretty much everything. It really is easy mode and yes, I do have multiple means to use it if the power goes out.

Comment

Anyone who can’t turn out good food on a quality pellet grill using quality pellets doesn’t know how to cook.

Comment

For typical “backyard Bbq” and weeknight grilling, you can’t beat a pellet grill. That being said brisket off of an offset to me is a tad better but the pellet grill briskets I’ve made are still very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X