6.5 Grendel - Bad Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel - Bad Experience

I just built a 6.5 Grendel pistol with a 12" barrel because I have a silencer on order to pair with it. I have a 5.56 AR, but wanted something that hit harder for pigs and also something that I could shoot a deer with and not have doubts. Finding ammo was tough but I was able to get 4 boxes of Barnes TAC-TX 115gr. and sighted it at 100 yards with no problem. This weekend, I had a doe at 125 yards and took the shot, right behind the shoulder. The shot felt really good, but the deer just bolted. No reaction to being hit. While waiting to go check, another doe came out at 95 yards so I took the shot, also right behind the shoulder. Again, the shot felt great, and this time the deer mule kicked and ran. I thought for sure that deer is dead, so I finished waiting and went to check the first doe. No blood or sign anywhere of a hit at the initial site, or along where she took off for 50 yards or so. I assumed I missed somehow and went to get the second doe, the one that mule kicked and ran. At the sight, there was pieces of meat, not blood or hair, but meat on the ground. I searched for another 45 minutes with no additional sign and went to get my brother. We then searched for 2.5 hours all over with no sign.

Here are my questions: What happened? Is that round bad for hunting deer? I know the short barrel affects velocity, but at those distances it should still be high enough for the bullet to expand (Barnes claims 1300FPS min for expansion). Is there a different round better suited to hunting with shorter barrels? Thanks in advance.

My son has shot 4 deer with 123 grain Hornady SST’s. Not the most impressive blood trails but none have went farther than 50 yards.

Comment

I think it is the ammo. I love my 6.5 Grendel and have had all one shot kills. I have killed axis, pigs, whitetail, sika and a nilgai cow with it. I shoot hornady SST loaded by Alexander arms out of mine.

Comment

I also have great results with Hornady SST 123 gr (DRT)

Comment

Never had issues using Hornady Black. Most of the deer and pigs are dead on the spot. I do have a long barrel on mine. Between me and my buddy only 1 deer ever ran (went about 60 yards) and pigs have never run on our shots. Only killed 4 or so deer with it but probably 2 dozen pigs. We do typically head shoot pigs and shoulder shoot deer so they should not run. The behind the shoulder shot I fully expect an animal to take off. I have lost a couple animals too with that shot so I just pin them in the shoulder now.

Comment

I would double check poi. Meat could be brisket or leg. Also that bullet may not have expanded. Those require some velocity. Sorry to hear that for you.

Comment

I’ve never tried those Barnes out of a Grendel, but I run Factory Hornady 123 grain SSTs out of my 12.5” SBR without issue. They’ve accounted for a lot of dead pigs and several deer.

I wouldn't expect a great blood trail, but assuming shot placement was decent, I'd expect two dead deer.

I never shoot behind the shoulder on deer with a rifle anymore. High shoulder or neck is the ticket for DRT kills.
              Last edited by Raider4044; 01-17-2022, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Sounds to me like there are 2 dead deer out there somewhere. Your results are surprising given where you hit. Is there a chance your shot wasn't as good as you thought? The only other thing I've seen before is a lot of internal damage but no blood trails. That doesn't explain not finding them after your extensive search but I have seen poor blood trails before with those bullets.

Comment

Might check barrel length/bullet combination. Heavy grain and short barrel you could have a bullet stabilization issue.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                    Sounds to me like there are 2 dead deer out there somewhere. Your results are surprising given where you hit. Is there a chance your shot wasn't as good as you thought? The only other thing I've seen before is a lot of internal damage but no blood trails. That doesn't explain not finding them after your extensive search but I have seen poor blood trails before with those bullets.
                    There is always the chance the hit wasn't as good, but I feel really good about the shots. And the second deer reacted as expected. I checked the zero on the rifle when back at camp and it is still on at 100. Judging by what everyone is saying, I need to get my hands on some Hornady SST rounds. Needless to say, I will not be shooting anymore deer with these rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                      I’ve never tried those Barnes out of a Grendel, but I run Factory Hornady 123 grain SSTs out of my 12.5” SBR without issue. They’ve accounted for a lot of dead pigs and several deer.

I wouldn't expect a great blood trail, but assuming shot placement was decent, I'd expect two dead deer.

I never shoot behind the shoulder on deer with a rifle anymore. High shoulder or neck is the ticket for DRT kills.
                      I didn't use the high shoulder shot as I was meat hunting. A neck shot is something to try, but I have always shot my deer behind the shoulder, albeit with standard hunting cartridges, with great success. I will have to get some SST's and alter my placement it seems.

Comment

For those that are saying to try the Hornady SST round, are ya'll shooting with a short barrel or 16"+? Note, I was wanting to shoot the SST, but I couldn't/can't find any anywhere.

Comment

I am shooting the SST's from a 12in pistol and a 22in rifle.

Comment

I killed two deer with a 6.5 Grendel.

I sold it immediately after if that tells you anything. Used 123 grain SST hornady ammo

Comment

Like so many above, I shoot Hornady 123 SST. I've killed numerous pigs and my daughter shot a big 10 pt. 3 weeks ago at 115 yards and he dropped within 5 yards. Do some more research on your ammo and barrel length combo. Hate you had a bad experience but grendel is a good round in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X