No announcement yet.

What works best for spritzing brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I'm gonna spritz, it's gonna be with apple juice and just on the point of the brisket since it faces the heat on my stick burner. I might hit it in the 140-160s once or twice. I don't want anything that tastes like beer, bread or grains on my brisket until its done and that's just a piece of white bread or a HB bun when I'm eating.

Comment

Angry Orchard Apple Cider Beer, cant go wrong!

Comment

No need to spritz brisket IMO. I like Dale's advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Avid Hunter View Post
          It's all about the moisture no matter what liquid you use. Yes I am a pro. Don't over think it. The spritz is not going to make a big difference. Cook it right time and temp and that's the difference. Experiment and have fun with u th the "spritz"
          I'm not a pro but, definitely agree with the "Don't overthink it".

In my opinion, spritzing does nothing to retain moisture. You're cooking a brisket with an internal temp of over 200°f. Most of the water is evaporating out of that thing in 12-18+ hour cook time. The "moisture" when the brisket is finished is the rendered fat. The fat takes a long time to render. This is why we cook low and slow. The "stall" is caused by the moisture cooking out of the brisket and cooling the surface down. Which slows the cooking process.

Spritzing will do the same thing. Every time you spritz you slow the cooking. This can be a good thing. For example, you can spritz parts of the flat so that it cooks at the same speed as the point. Spritzing can also help create a deeper smoke ring. But it can also hurt the bark by softening it up.

I only say all that to say that it won't matter what you use. Apple cider vinegar, apple juice, wine, etc. are all 99% water and will have little impact on the final flavor. If you can taste any of those over your spice rub you should up your spice rub a lot. There are reasons to spritz but, flavor isn't one of them. It definitely has it uses but I wouldn't overthink what you're using. I spritz the thin parts of the flat to slow down the cooking until the barks starts to form. I feel like my briskets are above average.

Comment

Apple juice

Comment

What Dale said.....

Comment

Fill a disposable aluminum roaster pan halfway with apple juice and onion slices and place in the bottom of the smoke chamber directly underneath the meat. Don't open the smoke chamber.

Comment

Working...
                X