Broadheads for crossbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadheads for crossbow

So after being out of archery since heart issues in 2017, I got a crossbow last year and started hunting again. I used expandable heads last year but didn't like how they would flop open from time to time.
    This year I would like to try some fixed broadheads instead. I am however concerned with how they are going to fly with the high speeds from the crossbow. I'm shooting the Centerpoint Amped 425. But with a heaver GoldTip Nitro 500 bolt.

Would yall shoot a 100gr or a 125 gr head?
    What about brands?
    Thanks.

Well I saw your subject line and came to say Spitfires. Then read your post and I guess I’d say Slick Tricks. I know a lot of people like the QAD Exodus heads but I haven’t tried them yet. My wife always has Spitfires on her bolts when Xbow is in hand. Never an issue on opening early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use 125 grain Ramcats . They are very accurate out of my Sniper 370.

Comment

When I shot a compound before Slick Tricks were the ones used. I just saw they are offering a broadhead geared towards crossbows. I'll at least get a pack to see how they shoot. One question though. What weight should I get with a fixed bh shot through the faster crossbow?

Comment

I think with a crossbow that is shooting fairly fast (Over 400) that a small fixed blade broadhead zips through without doing a lot of damage. I chose to go with a large cut expandable (Rage Hypo) at 125grs. If I could find them at 150gr, I would be using that . I used slick tricks & Magnus Buzzcut last year. Had 2 does lost last year with that set up. Both looked like pretty good shots. I'm fairly sure both does died, but no blood trail at all. I jumped one about 200 yards from shot. Exit wound looked good but small and no damage. JMO

Comment

100 grain muzzy 3 blade

Comment

Slick Trick

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                I use 125 grain Ramcats . They are very accurate out of my Sniper 370.

I would say this but the Barnett my wife has has issues with the Ramcats touching the shelf when it’s cocked. I’m a huge Ramcat fan when it comes to fixed. Slick Tricks are next. She short a mature buck a while ago with them and it went through the deer and stuck in a old barn about 20yds past the deer. It went through 1” of wood about 7 inches. I had to unscrew the head to get the bolt out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I put 125gr Reapers on my daughters crossbow. They are accurate and did a great job on her buck last year.

Comment

Well heck. I was a little concerned with how the arrow/bolt would fly with a stiff spine and a 125 gr head. Sounds like listen to everyone here they fly just fine.

Comment

I've tried Montec G5 fixed 100 grain broadheads with my Tenpoint. Point of impact was the same as with 100 grain field points at least out to 30 yards. They are rugged and effective but tended to not produce great bloodtrails for me. As a result I switched back to mechanicals.

Comment

I used Montecs with great success. Nice thing about them is they sell unsharpened practice heads too so you can truly practice with the same form as you will hunt

Comment

Originally posted by falmike View Post
                          I used Montecs with great success. Nice thing about them is they sell unsharpened practice heads too so you can truly practice with the same form as you will hunt
                          I forgot all about Montecs. They are sold!

Comment

125's in any fashion fly well for me on heavy weight bolts. And the accuracy improved substantially.

Comment

Spitfires work great out of my Centerpoint Snyper

Comment

Working...
                              X