Fishing boat. Alum vs glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to be in market soon for a fishing boat. Cant decide if i want alum or glass. 75% of use will be chasing crappie and catfish on local lakes and rivers. But, will take to coast whenever i can for reds/trout/etc in the bays and flats.. but would also like one sturdy enough to troll for kings out by the rigs..

budget would be around 10-12k.

ideas??

You sure have a big gap on your fishing and a very small budget to fill that gap. If you buy a boat to do all that for that budget good luck

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
      You sure have a big gap on your fishing and a very small budget to fill that gap. If you buy a boat to do all that for that budget good luck

If it helps, I'm definitely not going to be buying new. I was looking at a cc alumacraft in the 17-20ft range.. or a early 2000s shoalwater/transcat/ etc

Comment

I know people that love there aluminum boats. I've owned a few but I like my glass boat. I have as much money in accessories. Is what my boat is worth

Comment

There is no way I could go back to aluminum and continue to fish saltwater.

Unless I went to aluminum that was way out of your budget (not production hulls)
          And 20 foot minimum if I planned on jetty or rig fishing.

I'd suggest finding a 18 foot CC metal boat for fresh and hiring out salt stuff

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck finding a shoalwater or trans cat in that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Mayhem; 03-27-2021, 07:59 AM.

Comment

I’d go with aluminum for any situation I would find myself in personally. I’m not a saltwater fisherman so take that for what it’s worth. I run red and sulphur river and you never know when you may come upon a chunk of concrete, rebar or some other type of obstacle. Not that an aluminum boat can’t get torn up, but I feel as if it’s definitely more durable and easier to repair. I like my express

Comment

Express aluminum

Comment

I like my aluminum and do most of what you want to do but it’s on a different level than an Alumacraft or even Allweld and you likely can’t find a bare hull in your budget

Comment

Express or sea ark 20’ aluminum. It’ll do 99% of what you ask- all the time. The offshore part- you’ll have to limit. Pick and choose your outings during the dog days of summer.

Comment

In my experience, chasing crappie and catfish in stumps is tough on glass boats... I eventually gave up trying and just got me an aluminum boat... had a bunch of 'em over the years of both materials... for clean water, glass every time for every purpose... for water with common obsticles, aluminum and a hull that is all welded... no rivets...

You ain't likely gonna find a 20 foot boat in aluminum or glass that is truly suited for your described fishing desires for your budget... unless you're a pretty good boat mechanic... been there, done that... no thank you. But good luck!!

Comment

Working...
                      X