Diesel Truck plug in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel Truck plug in?

I've had my diesel truck for a while now but never experienced weather like this. Should I plug the truck in during this freezing weather that we are having? Thanks.

It sure helps. Pretty much the reason for having a block heater is cold weather.

I plug mine in any time its in the 30's or colder.

Easier on the engine. Heater and Defrost start working a whole lot sooner too when the coolant has a head start

Comment

I would, I also added some anti gel to the tanks, it can’t hurt

Comment

Anything to keep def tanks from freezing?

Comment

To add onto this I was told that all of the newer diesels have heating element in them, the money you pay for the "option" to have a heater is the propretary plug on one end of the cord. You can go down to the dealership and purchase a cord.

Figured this info might help some folks out, not trying to derail your thread.

Comment

I do mine in the 30's and 40's just because

Comment

I'll plug mine in for the next few days and add some fuel treatment, has worked for me in the rockies during winter time for years.

Comment

On my little silverado 1500 3L diesel, the owners manual says not to plug it in unless it's going to be below 0. Since we will be at 0, i'll probably plug it in anyways. May not get the chance to do it for a long time!

Comment

Originally posted by stx View Post
                  Anything to keep def tanks from freezing?
                  Good question, I hear 2020-2021 don’t go into limp mode if def freezes

Comment

Do we need to add anti-gelling stuff to the fuel?

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                      Do we need to add anti-gelling stuff to the fuel?
                      “” A similar process takes place when diesel fuel begins to crystalize during cold weather. When the weather is close to 10 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit*, gelling starts to occur and can clog the fuel system (*depending on the source and quality of fuel, gelling can occur as high as 20 degrees Fahrenheit”
                      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-12-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I’ve found that bitter cold weather is hard on batteries as well, especially those with a little age on them. Having the block, oil, etc., warm sure makes it easier for the truck to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure if I am doing things right but I moved up north this fall and I drive a ‘14 F-250. I asked this same question to others up here and I got replies all over the spectrum. Some said to plug in below 36 and others said they never plug in, just add anti gel additive.

I work early and have started my truck without issues so far by just adding anti gel when I fill up. It’s been down to 0 a couple nights. Hope this helps.

Comment

Great information. I'll plug it in and get some fuel treatment.

Comment

You'll be fine. I just got back from a month in Wyoming and had a streak of single digit weather up there early on. My 2016 Cummins remote started fine through the window of the nice warm house. I didn't add anything or do anything different. Same last few years, couple weeks at a time in single digits. Yall will be fine for a few days.
                              Last edited by justletmein; 02-12-2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X