No announcement yet.

What did I do wrong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the same welder. 14 gauge is it's fortè and 11 gauge will work. Much thicker and you need the 240v 180 amp model. I have that one as well and it welds like a dream.
    Make sure you're tip is clean and you are feeding smoothly.

Gary

Comment

Find someone that welds and let them repair it. Maybe the local high school AG class. No way I am sitting on that tripod seat as it looks.

Comment

If your near crosby bring it over and I will weld it up for you. Just pm me if interested

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
          Find someone that welds and let them repair it. Maybe the local high school AG class. No way I am sitting on that tripod seat as it looks.
          Absolutely! DO NOT trust your life to that weld.

Comment

I know some one that has 2 very potent wire welders that are set up all the time that you can use any time you want. He would even weld that for you for nothing. Really, just drop by with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
              I know some one that has 2 very potent wire welders that are set up all the time that you can use any time you want. He would even weld that for you for nothing. Really, just drop by with it.
              Annnndddd thread closed!

Comment

6011 or 6013 on rust for me. Don't like wire welders. Old sick guy my self.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                  Did you reverse the polarity? Flux core wire needs the polarity reversed.
                  That would be my guess also.

I have no issues welding 3/16 with my Hobart 140. I just turn up the volts and the wire feed down. Weld With same size wire on a dedicated 20amp circuit without an extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                    Absolutely! DO NOT trust your life to that weld.
                    Lmao! We crack a lot of jokes about the guys welds in the shop but never had to opportunity to take it to the level of life or death lol

Comment

Get some scrap and practice first.

Then grind those “welds” off and clean the rust and other junk off so you have good metal to work with.

Comment

metal is too thick for what your trying to go with wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          That would be my guess also.

I have no issues welding 3/16 with my Hobart 140. I just turn up the volts and the wire feed down. Weld With same size wire on a dedicated 20amp circuit without an extension.
                          Yeah but that little 110v Harbor Freight model is only a 90amp and although it does well with thin tube, and even 1/8th angle, any more than that it won't dig deep enough. It's only got two settings and is useful for a lot of stuff but thicker metal it's not. I have three wire rigs with that being one of them and for fixing a stand leg or feeder panel in place it's invaluable. Light weight and runs off of a generator well. You have to stay within it's limitations though. But that is with any piece of equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            Yeah but that little 110v Harbor Freight model is only a 90amp and although it does well with thin tube, and even 1/8th angle, any more than that it won't dig deep enough. It's only got two settings and is useful for a lot of stuff but thicker metal it's not. I have three wire rigs with that being one of them and for fixing a stand leg or feeder panel in place it's invaluable. Light weight and runs off of a generator well. You have to stay within it's limitations though. But that is with any piece of equipment.

The 140 I have has 5 settings for voltage and I don't know how many on wire speed. Its done everything Ive wanted it too. If I need anything larger the father in law has a fab shop 1.5 miles from me with 4 or 5 machines

Comment

Clean the heck out of the base metal, gap the two 1/16 wide, crank the heat all the way up and set wire speed two thirds attempt again. Increase speed from there. Note: if you are creating holes in the gap increase speed.

Comment

That's a good machine though. The Harbor Freight rig is not even in the same class as Hobart or Lincoln. But you can't pick them up for $99 on sale either.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X