Speaking of dove... how many clutches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of dove... how many clutches?

Maybe I was the last to know but, I didn't realize dove have multiple clutches per season. This dove built a nest on an old skull we have mounted and this is her 4th batch. This was a few weeks old and the 2 new birds will be leaving the nest soon.
    Attached Files

It should be a heck of a year for all game birds with the almost statewide rain all summer. The moisture should help big time on nesting. South Texas quail will be crazy I bet.

Comment

Depends on location. In the south they can produce 6 clutches a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
        Depends on location. In the south they can produce 6 clutches a year.
        Learn something new every day.

Comment

We had 6 clutches on a skull like that one. On the last clutch a Coopers Hawk snatched one of the chicks off the nest.

Comment

Originally posted by PIOBill View Post
            We had 6 clutches on a skull like that one. On the last clutch a Coopers Hawk snatched one of the chicks off the nest.
            How late will they keep laying?

So far, this one has been safe. She has gotten pretty used to our comings and goings over the last few months. It is right by our pool and isn't all bothered by the commotion or company.

Comment

Doves are the only bird in Texas that has been documented to have active nests in every month of the year.

Comment

One of the smartest birds in the world too. I swear they can read. Every year they are plentiful til the season opens then they disappear!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Had WW nest that put out 3 clutches last year in DFW area.

Comment

So, do you think she is mating the same male? Or just dating what ever comes along?

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                      Maybe I was the last to know but, I didn't realize dove have multiple clutches per season. This dove built a nest on an old skull we have mounted and this is her 4th batch. This was a few weeks old and the 2 new birds will be leaving the nest soon.
                      Smart mama, widely known fact that rat snakes are absolutely terrified of old skulls …

Comment

Male and female incubate the eggs in shifts. Young leave the nest after about 2 weeks then stay in a nearby tree and continue to get fed by parents while they start another clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                          South Texas quail will be crazy I bet.
                          I was just thinking this.

More than once have I wandered on a covey of youngster Bob’s, just big enough to fly at the very beginning of season. They are actually quite comical to watch.

Comment

I thought birds only raised one group of young. Did not know they were called a clutch either. The title had me baffled. I had heard, that if a bird looses their eggs or young to predators or whatever, that they will lay some more eggs, but I thought that was the only time they laid more than one group of eggs.

Comment

We have a nest under our car port, I know for sure there have been at least two different hatches, I think there are babies in the nest now which would make three, I never knew they had more than one hatch.

Comment

Working...
                              X