Is there a "need" for a 3.5" shotgun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a "need" for a 3.5" shotgun?

Been researching shotguns for a year now. I came into it with just basic knowledge and have reached the point where all guns are the best or worst depending on which opinion you read. That said, one of the questions I have is what I posted as the title. 3.5" seem to be all the rage, but plenty of guys say they're just popular with the young crowd and 3" will do everything you need.

I'm not a huge gun guy so I want one shotgun that can cover all waterfowl, turkey, etc. I was originally leaning 3.5" so I could cover geese, cranes, and anything else we may make a trip for that flies. Just looking for advice. All my buddies that are shotgun aficionados just tell me to buy what they have because it's the best

People have been killing birds with 2 3/4 and 3 in shells for a long time. So I dont think there is a "need" for a 3.5inch.
    That said, the extra pellets and knock down of a 3.5in shell comes in handy on those blue bird days when the birds are flying a little higher or you need the extra power on bigger birds like cranes.

Comment

A 3.5 will shoot 3's

Comment

3.5” will get you out there a little bit farther with more shot. That being said, I’ve killed a truck load of birds with 2 3/4” & 3” over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
          3" will do everything you need.
          You answered your own question. The 3-1/2 met a need that didn't exist, except to sell guns and ammo. I know somebody's brother knows a guy that can kill geese at 134 yds with it, but

Comment

I don't waterfowl hunt, but I think there is if you varmint hunt with one. You can fling a lot of shot out of a 3.5" shell. Some will argue you don't need one with the new heavy shot that is available and it may be true, but I don't like the cost of some of the new loads available.

Comment

i dont fowl hunt enough to answer your question, but i grabbed a box last year to go duck hunting just because i had never shot them before. my first shot was at a teal, which i have never killed before, and was rushed, catching WAY more of my bicep than my shoulder, sumbuck thumped me pretty good. left a huge nasty bruise on my arm for a couple weeks. i figured them 3's do just fine for ducks.

i am interested to hear what guys say about geese and cranes....

Comment

I've done my share of duck hunting in different conditions. A 3.5 is really nice on big ducks like mallards and cans when you're having trouble getting them close. In the 40-45 yard range. It allows you to shoot a heavier pellet without dropping into thin pattern territory. Dead birds compared to chasing cripples.

Comment

I feel like it has given me more options when shooting geese. Still use 2 3/4 and 3” for duck hunting. A lot of it depends on how many drams you are shooting and the weight of shot. Lots of variables and different conditions. I typically use 2s or BBS for geese rather than some using BBB and T.

Comment

3.5 is a waste of money imo.....from somebody that hunted ducks and geese for 18 years. Sore shoulder and less cash in my wallet is all I ever got from it out of my SBE. When I was heavy into the game, I patterned steel shot and my 3" loads patterned better than my 3.5s. The theory was more of the non-deforming non-toxic shot down the same size barrel blew out with an internal ricochet effect and created a less even/less dense pattern. The distanced gained was minimal as well unless you have the same amount of shot as a 3" load. In your typical 3.5", you have more powder pushing more shot through the same sized barrel. That lends itself to similar distances as a proportionate powder and shot load in a 3" shell. If nothing has changed with the patterning of the even new notox loads, you are gonna have bigger holes at longer distances anyway.

The only real positive is more big shot for geese or turkey loads but if you can shoot you shouldn't need it anyway..

Last edited by Smart; 11-23-2021, 01:24 PM.

Comment

3.5” - biggest hunting scam since Ozonics.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        3.5 is a waste of money imo.....from somebody that hunted ducks and geese for 18 years. Sore shoulder and less cash in my wallet is all I ever got from it out of my SBE. When I was heavy into the game, I patterned steel shot and my 3" loads patterned better than my 3.5s. The theory was more of the non-deforming non-toxic shot down the same size barrel blew out with an internal ricochet effect and created a less even/less dense pattern. The distanced gained was minimal as well unless you have the same amount of shot as a 3" load. In your typical 3.5", you have more powder pushing more shot through the same sized barrel. That lends itself to similar distances as a proportionate shot powder and shot load in a 3" shell. If nothing has changed with the patterning of the even new notox loads, you are gonna have bigger holes at longer distances anyway.

The only real positive is more big shot for geese or turkey loads but if you can shoot you shouldn't need it anyway..

Couldn't have said it better myself!! No different than comparing a .410 3" to a 20 or 12 gauge... Both shoot their standard loads at the same speed, same energy. Only advantage is more shot on target. If you can shoot, it's a waste of lead...

In fact, before the steel shot requirements, I was on a duck/goose lease with several guys, and 2 among them were a couple old retired bankers that always goose hunted with .410's... I was flabbergasted! I asked them how/why? They asked me if I dove hunted (the knew I did and used a .410 for that). I of course told them that yes indeed I did dove hunt, even hunted with them before on the same property... They told me, "Son, a goose's head is about the same size as a dove and they fly a lot slower and steadier... If you can shoot a dove with that little pop gun, should be able to shoot a goose in the head... Those guys always killed as many (or more) geese as the rest of us, and shot fewer shells and a heck of a lot less punishment on the receiving end of our scatter guns!!

I have never had any use for a 3.5" 12 gauge... That's another gun, caliber, etc. that solves a problem that doesn't exist... If you want to go bigger, just get you a 10 gauge...

Comment

I love my Ithaca 10 ga auto with 3.5 in. for turkey. My wife shoots first with her 20 ga and if there is a second one, I'm on it. Haven't missed yet, though I did have to shoot one twice.

When I duck hunted I used 2 3/4 & 3's, goose hunted with 3's.
                          Last edited by SabineHunter; 11-23-2021, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
                            3.5” - biggest hunting scam since Ozonics.
                            What abouT HECS [emoji4][emoji56]

Comment

The 3.5" was originally developed as a turkey load. I have a first production 835. And a few of the original Fed 2.25oz loads. The advantage was being able to throw the same shot weight as a 10g. That is why it was developed.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Working...
                              X