No announcement yet.

Calling all pond experts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put 5000 hybrid blue/channel catfish in our pond, and they are a blast to catch. Get up to 50lbs

Comment

Pondboss.com

Comment

we have black crappie in ours and they get to be about 1.5 pounds. Excellent eating. We also put Florida bass. We did not put any catfish in this pond. About 2.5 surface acres and 20 ft deep. lots of perch.

Comment

Originally posted by stringmusic View Post
          There are some smaller sized perch but there are some giants in there too. My daughter can catch 40 in an afternoon. Biggest bass I've caught was probably just shy of 3 lbs but 90% of them are 1-1.5lbs I'm guessing.
          Need to keep all your small bass. 14" or less. Either eat them or give them to someone to stock a pond. we have to take 150 or more out of ours every year just to keep up. It is just like shooting does...

Comment

Originally posted by stringmusic View Post
            There are some smaller sized perch but there are some giants in there too. My daughter can catch 40 in an afternoon. Biggest bass I've caught was probably just shy of 3 lbs but 90% of them are 1-1.5lbs I'm guessing.
            I work with lowchow lake management to take care of the small lakes (3,5,8,9 acres) here at the ranch I manage. Have learned a lot. I would high recommend taking out all the large/jumbo perch. 6 inches or longer. Plenty of sexually mature bluegill in the 3-6 inch range. I would also take a hard look at the perch you are catching to see if they are warmouth perch. If they are catch and cull all you catch. Also create a slot for your large mouth and cull. Say 6 inches to 12 inches cull. Plenty will slip through you don’t catch so don’t worry about taking to many. Say 10 lbs per acre per year at least. This will get you going in the right direction for cheap. If you want to spend money you can throw fish feeder on it or Stock desirable bait fish, such as red ear sunfish and coppernose bluegill. And if you really want to hit the next step. Bring a shock boat in for a day, Cull bass really hard and introduce pure Florida fingerlings. Get the hybrid vigor creating an F1. This also let you get an over all health report of the pond.

Comment

You biggest issue is if it flooded before, it will likely flood again. I would be hesitant to put too much money into a body of water you can't really control. I would probably look at feed trained bass and well as hybrid striped bass and get a feeder going.

Oh.... We don't have perch this far south, but we do have lots of types of sunfish. no to the crappie
              Last edited by BrianL; 01-05-2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

If you put minnows in..........
                I'd recommend, putting a few old tires
                around the edges, about two feet below the surface..........
                It gives, them a place to hide.... And lay their eggs............

Comment

Information about the Warmouth (Lepomis gulosus), a species found in the State of Texas

These were the warmouth I was talking about. Your correct, I call them all perch in slang terms. but yes bluegill and sunfish families would be the proper terms

Comment

Working...
                  X