No announcement yet.

Ultimate question: Ceramic Smoker or Pellet Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have both. My BGE makes superior food no question, BUT the RecTec is much easier. No one has ever complained about the food off either one. One other plus with the RecTec is that it is easier to move around. My BGE is stationary. The RecTec goes camping with us.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
      I have both. My BGE makes superior food no question, BUT the RecTec is much easier. No one has ever complained about the food off either one. One other plus with the RecTec is that it is easier to move around. My BGE is stationary. The RecTec goes camping with us.

Superior in what way(s)? I’ve turned out some fantastic food on my Pitts & Spitts pellet smoker. I just can’t see anything turning out something “superior” or a significant amount better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

For smoking, pellet.

I have both and use the pellet (RecTeq) to smoke and the ceramic to sear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Superior in what way(s)? I’ve turned out some fantastic food on my Pitts & Spitts pellet smoker. I just can’t see anything turning out something “superior” or a significant amount better.

I've gotten great results from both but the pellet grill seems to dry out the meat a little more I also haven't found a pellet that I think tastes as good as wood chunks in my BGE. Both my wife and son can tell which one I used just by taste alone.
          Again I'm not knocking the pellet grill and I still use it a lot. I just think the BGE makes a better tasting meal.

Comment

Pellet grills will spoil you.
            I can’t remember the last time I fired up my stick burner.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
              I've gotten great results from both but the pellet grill seems to dry out the meat a little more I also haven't found a pellet that I think tastes as good as wood chunks in my BGE. Both my wife and son can tell which one I used just by taste alone.
              Again I'm not knocking the pellet grill and I still use it a lot. I just think the BGE makes a better tasting meal.

I can see where you are coming from on the drying out the meat. Do you cook by time or internal temp?

As to taste, what pellets have you used? There is a huge difference in quality and taste between pellet brands.

Comment

I cook by temp. As far as pellets I use mostly B&B simply because I can find them the easiest.

Comment

I think they all have their place...stick, electric, and pellet... and I have/have had them all. And I loved every one, but especially my RecTec 700. Hard to beat monitoring your smoke from work.

Comment

as far as ease yes the pellet grill wins hands down.. i tried several different kinds of pellets and it all ended the same. mediocre food with mediocre taste, and yes, mike d, i can cook. and i have my BGE down to science. its pretty easy to operate once you learn how "to cook on it"...no comparison in taste, none

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      Anyone who can’t turn out good food on a quality pellet grill using quality pellets doesn’t know how to cook.

Truth. Most people can't tell the difference between a brisket smoked on a pellet smoker or an offset.

Comment

What pellets are you guys recommending Mike D???

About to pickup a Pitt boss to play with.

Comment

I have both. Pellet basically took the place of my gas grill and I use my Egg for longer cooks or if I have extra time.

Comment

Before I got the BGE I was def an inexperienced bbq’er. I’ve had it for 2 years and the food that I can make on it still amazes me. There are lots of set ups and everybody has their preferences but I love my egg.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                              What pellets are you guys recommending Mike D???

About to pickup a Pitt boss to play with.

For me I use these in this order

1) Lumberjack
                              2) Bear Mountain
                              3) B&B

The others I have tried just do not perform to my expectations regarding smoke, flavor and ash.

Comment

Originally posted by FastLife1K View Post
                                Truth. Most people can't tell the difference between a brisket smoked on a pellet smoker or an offset.
                                I agree with you that most can`t, but I can and others do as well. Everyone has a different level of smoke that they prefer and that's OK. I have cooked several briskets on my RT-590 that I was happy with, but my stick burner has a better level of smoke that I prefer. I cooked a butt for pulled pork once and not happy at all with the smoke flavor and I was using B&B pellets. It looked pretty and had a nice bark, but the flavor was more like a roast in the oven and was nothing like my offset smoker. I say if you have room for both ...... have the best of both worlds. The pellet smoker is great for things other than briskets and pork butts.

Comment

Working...
                                X