Savage 220 Old stock vs New Accustock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savage 220 Old stock vs New Accustock

I see I can get a brand new Savage 220 slug gun for $412 with the old black synthetic stock. The new ones with the accu-stock are around $599-$650. Recoil doesn't bother me. Anyone know if there's much of any difference between the older model's without the accu-stock. As long as it's really accurate(which they have a reputation for) I'd be more inclined to save myself $150 to put toward a scope etc. Plus, my wife might actually let me get away with getting one. Any info would is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A 220 for $412 seems like a steal to me. As good as these shoot, I can't really see spending an extra $150 for a nicer stock. Recoil on these isn't bad at all.

As you might have guessed, I have one of these with the normal stock.

If you are stuck using a shotgun, these almost feel like cheating as they are just a 20 G rifle.

I did have to try several different loads to get one that would group into 1" at 100 yards, but I did find one (Rem 3" accutip).

Anyway, I'd say go for it. Also, in my experience the 3" loads do group a little better, with a bit more energy and really no difference in recoil.

Comment

The accustock is more than just a different stock. It has an aluminum bedding cradle molded into the stock.

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
        The accustock is more than just a different stock. It has an aluminum bedding cradle molded into the stock.
        I have no doubt that it is a very nice stock.

What I doubt is that it is worth another $150.

Especially when guns with the regular stock shoot as well as they do - a shotgun capable of 1" 100 yard groups works pretty well.

Even if guns with the new stock will shoot groups half as big, not worth $150 to me.

Comment

For $150.00 you can buy a replacement Boyds stock, i say go with the cheaper one.

Comment

OP, you sure you wanna get a fire stick?

Just kid-n bud. Hope ya get drawn this year.

Comment

Hey, me and you might just be able to work a deal. I’ll let you know tomorrow. I have a turkey with the camo accustock. I got rid of my rifled version because when I screw in a modified choke tube I get less than 1” group at 100 yards, bushnell banner 4x, with $5 per box foster slugs.

I have the accu stock in storage (brand new) because I dropped it in the black old school stock.

I wanna see this aluminum cradle on a pipe with a firing pin. I don’t remember it being bedded?
              Last edited by Johnny44; 07-14-2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                OP, you sure you wanna get a fire stick?

Just kid-n bud. Hope ya get drawn this year.
                I had a missed opportunity last year(just a little to far........with my duck gun with open sights. It's got me shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                  Hey, me and you might just be able to work a deal. I’ll let you know tomorrow. I have a turkey with the camo accustock. I got rid of my rifled version because when I screw in a modified choke tube I get less than 1” group at 100 yards, bushnell banner 4x, with $5 per box foster slugs.

I have the accu stock in storage (brand new) because I dropped it in the black old school stock.

I wanna see this aluminum cradle on a pipe with a firing pin. I don’t remember it being bedded?
                  Sounds good. Gotta buy a gun first, they just went up on the price, but I think I can still get the camo version for a decent price.

Comment

Browning makes a bolt slug gun on the A-frame action also. And Marlin makes a bolt slug gun too. Both of those have prooduced excellent results. The H&R Ultra Sluggun in 20 ga is a highly saught after gun that is no longer made. They also make all these in 12 ga as well. I have an Ultra Slugger in 12ga that is a tack driver out to 200-225. I also have an original Mossburg 835 produced in 1990. I have a fully rifled barrle for it. And it's a killer out to 150-170 yards. I've also have a new in the box Hastings fully rifled slug barrle in 20ga that I've been trying to find a receiver for. I expect it will produce similar results. Hastings went out of business some time ago. But werd well known in the states that wers slug only states.

The fish are bite-n and there's hogs to be killed, gotta go!

Comment

Browning makes a bolt slug gun on the A-frame action also. And Marlin makes a bolt slug gun too. Both of those have prooduced excellent results. The H&R Ultra Sluggun in 20 ga is a highly saught after gun that is no longer made. They also make all these in 12 ga as well. I have an Ultra Slugger in 12ga that is a tack driver out to 200-225. I also have an original Mossburg 835 produced in 1990. I have a fully rifled barrle for it. And it's a killer out to 150-170 yards. I've also have a new in the box Hastings fully rifled slug barrle in 20ga that I've been trying to find a receiver for. I expect it will produce similar results. Hastings went out of business some time ago. But werd well known in the states that wers slug only states.

I've been looking for one of those H&R Ultra Slug guns for a long time. Those thing's go for over $600 on GunTrader.

Comment

Don't forget the Mossberg 695 bolt action. Had one of these when the came out - these were tack drivers too. Also came with one of the worst triggers ever offered on a gun!

There have been lots of good options for slug shooting over the years, but for an inexpensive, very good shooting gun you can still find - the Savage 220 is hard to beat.

Those H&R/NEF single barrel slug guns were popular around here. Most liked them, but many complained about the standard triggers - but they were $250-$300 guns too.

No way I'd pay more for one of those than a Savage.

And the Brownings are $1K, right?

Comment

Yes, I forgot about the 695.

Comment

Working...
                          X