So I left some fish out overnight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I left some fish out overnight...

Fresh fillets been on ice since Sunday, cleaned up and cut into frying nuggets and vacuum sealed last night around 9pm, found two bags sitting on the countertop this morning around 8am. I don't know how I missed them and left them out.

I had to get to work so tossed them in the freezer, about to cut open and smell test them here in a bit (doubt they're frozen yet).

Curious how many of yall would toss them, how many would eat them, and how many would wait for the smell test to determine?

If they smelled like fish and not rotted fish I'd eat em. I left some shrimp I got at lunch yesterday out in my vehicle for 6 hours and still ate them. Didn't get sick so I think you'll be ok. If they smell bad it's a no go. Just chunk them and go catch some more.

Comment

Nope, not with fish

Comment

Smell test answers the question.

Comment

if it passes the smell test I'd eat it, but I eat just about everything.

Comment

Eat’em! Let us know how it goes! No need to video. LOL!

Comment

Send it down hole

Comment

Update: Bags are partially frozen, so I don't want to thaw them out just to smell, flesh is mostly firm but can be smooshed if that makes sense. Doesn't smell sour and not overly fishy as far as I can tell. I caught a quick "maybe off" smell at the bottom of the bag briefly but couldn't replicate it with further sniffs. I didn't open the other bag, just the one, sealed it in a new bag and threw it back in the freezer. I think they'll be OK.

Comment

Vacuum sealed and in your house overnight, I would think they should be OK

Comment

As many fish as you catch......I'd toss them if I were you. I hate to waste stuff like that but sometimes **** happens in life. It isnt worth getting sick over imo.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                      As many fish as you catch......I'd toss them if I were you. I hate to waste stuff like that but sometimes **** happens in life. It isnt worth getting sick over imo.

My comfort and safety are not worth the risk.

Maybe an 85% chance that it would be okay. I don’t want to take a 1 in 6 chance of playing swap ends on the toilet for two days.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                        If they smelled like fish and not rotted fish I'd eat em. I left some shrimp I got at lunch yesterday out in my vehicle for 6 hours and still ate them. Didn't get sick so I think you'll be ok. If they smell bad it's a no go. Just chunk them and go catch some more.
                        I bet your shrimp were already cooked before being left out. OP, with them vacuum sealed and in your house I'm guessing they're okay but I'd label the bags so you can differentiate them from the others and do another smell test after thawing, then make sure you cook them well.

Comment

They are probably ok but definitely check the smell and texture before frying them up

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                            I bet your shrimp were already cooked before being left out. OP, with them vacuum sealed and in your house I'm guessing they're okay but I'd label the bags so you can differentiate them from the others and do another smell test after thawing, then make sure you cook them well.
                            I did do that and we'll be sure to do a full smell test when we thaw them out. That'll help to be sure they don't sit too long when we thaw them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              Update: Bags are partially frozen....
                              That would be good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X