School me on biodiesel trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on biodiesel trucks

As title says. Tried to read some about it, can’t find any explanations clear enough for a dummy like me. Brand new silverado 1500’s going for near the same price as a brand new 2500 biodiesel duramax. What’s the deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel that is made from plant and animal parts vs. crude oil.

Comment

biodiesel and petrodiesel are for the most part similar in the application of the internal combustion engine, but there are slight variations in some of the chemical and physical attributes. the first one that comes to mind would be that biodiesel will cloud up and even begin to solidify at cold temperatures. i'd imagine there's also some viscosity differences that can be optimized.

source: my brain. i did a big project in college about biodiesel.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
        biodiesel and petrodiesel are for the most part similar in the application of the internal combustion engine, but there are slight variations in some of the chemical and physical attributes. the first one that comes to mind would be that biodiesel will cloud up and even begin to solidify at cold temperatures. i'd imagine there's also some viscosity differences that can be optimized.

source: my brain. i did a big project in college about biodiesel.

Lol no need for a source here. I know biodiesel uses more of a vegetable oil mix for the fuel or something like that. I’m mostly curious about practical use. If you buy a “biodiesel” truck can you fill up wherever with the common diesel sold at gas stations or do you have to find certain biodiesel pumps?

Comment

My goodness.

Comment

M35A1 model was redesigned in the '60s with a 427-cu.in. 140hp "Hypercycle" LDS-427-2 engine produced by Continental. This was a "multi-fuel" design engine, meaning it was basically a diesel but could also run on anything that was handy, including jet fuel, kerosene, alcohol or pump gas.

I think dump the EPA garbage and slap in a hypercycle in a truck
            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-01-2022, 06:53 PM.

Comment

What is a biodiesel 2500 going for?

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
              As title says. Tried to read some about it, can’t find any explanations clear enough for a dummy like me. Brand new silverado 1500’s going for near the same price as a brand new 2500 biodiesel duramax. What’s the deal?

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                Lol no need for a source here. I know biodiesel uses more of a vegetable oil mix for the fuel or something like that. I’m mostly curious about practical use. If you buy a “biodiesel” truck can you fill up wherever with the common diesel sold at gas stations or do you have to find certain biodiesel pumps?

You most likely can use regular diesel. A lot of diesel nowadays is up to B10. (10% Bio) I would stay away from running Bio-Diesel as much as possible. About 10 or 12 tears ago, I was making about 1000gal a week of the stuff. It's now worth investing the time and effort into it. Its a losing business if you don't get a government subsidy. If you don't have a really good way to wash and dry it your basically putting salts and moisture into your new truck tank.
                Last edited by Hoggslayer; 04-01-2022, 07:26 PM.

Comment

First Diesel engine was run on peanut oil. By default, a Diesel engine will be solely plant fuel based. Fossil fuel diesel is a bonus. It seems opposite mentality now.

I wonder if this is for fuel distributors to inject more ethanol into diesel.
                  Something that comes to mind would be corrosive resistant diesel engine capability to use corn ethanolized gasoline to stabilize diesel in colder climates … and higher altitudes.

I run a B20 6.7 F250 and fn love it. All 100 fossil fuel.

Comment

Working...
                  X