Butchering beef DYI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butchering beef DYI

Anybody killed a calf/cow/bull and processed themself? My dad has a herd that's crazy and he wants to replace with angus. To many young bulls running around and the fence is bad on several sides of the property(electric). Limousin Cattle. They're nuts. You drive up to the place 180 acres or so and they run to back, and they constantly get out. Big creek on the place. With no corrall or decent system to load them for auction, I mention getting rid of the bulls and replacing with Angus and breeding out the crazy. Either way, If you had enough big coolers, is it feasible to put a young bull on ice and process, or is it just a bad idea?

I think I would want access to a walk in cooler, to let the sides or quarters hang for a bit, and take my time processing each different cut. But if you can knock one out from field to freezer within a couple of days, and you have the cooler space, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Moon_Walker View Post
      Anybody killed a calf/cow/bull and processed themself? My dad has a herd that's crazy and he wants to replace with angus. To many young bulls running around and the fence is bad on several sides of the property(electric). Limousin Cattle. They're nuts. You drive up to the place 180 acres or so and they run to back, and they constantly get out. Big creek on the place. With no corrall or decent system to load them for auction, I mention getting rid of the bulls and replacing with Angus and breeding out the crazy. Either way, If you had enough big coolers, is it feasible to put a young bull on ice and process, or is it just a bad idea?
      You just grinding it all? Unless you have access to a saw cutting steaks is going to be a beating. Hope you have somebgreat friends to help. You will need them.

Comment

I’ve done it a couple of time. The main issue is aging and properly cutting your steaks. It’s just like a big elk

Comment

We did it once when I was younger. Lots of hard work. You need heavy stout stuff to hang one.

Comment

It might not come out looking like something from the store but itll eat just fine.

Just make sure you have some good reliable help. And plan it for a couple cold dry days.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane View Post
              I think I would want access to a walk in cooler, to let the sides or quarters hang for a bit, and take my time processing each different cut. But if you can knock one out from field to freezer within a couple of days, and you have the cooler space, why not?
              Yes, aging in a walk in helps break down the muscles and add to the flavor for steaks and such
              However I would think you could use a ice chest if you got enough of them and have a good grinder and crew to help handle the Beve
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-12-2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Hanging one is no problem. The meat would be packed on ice in big coleman or Igloo coolers. Unless we have cold weather.

Comment

Ive done it. I have a walk in cooler though to age the beef in. I suppose you can “wet age” it with ice chests. It’s gonna take lots of them. I wouldn’t recommend it. Get with someone who has a walk in cooler and processing equipment. Maybe y’all could work out a deal. Something like letting them process it for half the meat or something.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 02-12-2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

My dad was a butcher at a small shop in the 60-70's. He always took our steers to the slaughter house. Anything smaller we would do at home.

Comment

I think grinding it all would be alot of ground. Probably would want to try some roast, steak cuts. IDK.

Comment

Grass fed.

Comment

If slaughter houses can't give me realistic kill date then I may do the next one myself. Tired of this stuff they call meat in the stores.

Comment

That's ALOT work & meat to store in coolers. They are big & heavy.
                            Head/hide/guts can be a "truck load".

A bags of cubes and a cpl weeks of consistent training will probably calm 'em down.
                            They way to cattle's head is through their stomach. (more often than not)
                            or
                            Give it a shot (so to speak)

Comment

I will be interested in hearing how this turns out. My inclination is that after doing it you will say “never again!” Grass fed, unfinished bull meat isn’t going to be taste like you hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X