No announcement yet.

Modern day deer camps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then you do what you Gotta do, and plan around the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Modern day deer camps

I would take a 16 foot trailer each time you go. The last time we did tents in New Mexico we screwed them down to the trailer deck. You could also set up some kind of a shower on part of it, and a table and grill as well. At least that way you’re not in the dirt/mud/thorns/bugs, and when it rains you’re less likely to get water up through the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Dale Moser; 04-12-2022, 01:56 PM.

Comment

No electricity, bathing water from a cistern, and a 1975 model truck camper. We're comfortable, but it ain't glamping.

Comment

eff a tent is right!
          I would be looking into a possible house rental if you have enough ppl to split it so it's not too expensive. Maybe even look into an RV park nearby.

Comment

The bad thing with having access to a cabin over a number of years...
            You end up collecting too much crap!

This was cleaning day a couple years ago. Most everything you see here we threw away!

Having AC/heat, a shower, a small kitchen, a table/chairs...it's nice!

Comment

22 years on the same ranch staying in campers with no running water or electricity.. But we do have solar, small, quiet, Honda and Predator generators and we haul in water.. I could easily live there..

Comment

I have to admit those were some of my best hunting memories camping very primitive. Even though modern conveniences make things easier I am spoiled and done. Not that I am too good for that just very spoiled.

Comment

I am getting on my first lease this year and I will be truck camping to help keep cost down.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                    Sometimes our satellite tv stops working in bad weather. Talk about roughing it...
                    WiFi acts up sometimes at our place

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                      We half way rough it. 40x30 metal barn, running water, no electricity. Cooking is done on a propane two burner stove, the wood stove we use to keep warm, or the fire ring outside. Everything at night is by lantern. We enjoy the getaway from everyday life.
                      Sounds awesome. Kinda of jealous.

Our camp is an old camper to sleep in. Camper has carport over it to shield from sun/ keep trailer from leaking. No electricity, water or shower.
                      My little ryobi generator is perfect for lights and phones. Big generator is for heat & a/c. ( S Tx requires more a/c than heat) cook outside. Headlamps required for all night activities. There are enough rattlesnakes and cactus to needs light.

No tents for me. Wind, mud and mosquitoes make it a hard no

Comment

When I was much younger and much poorer, a buddy and I stayed in an old, falling down barn @ a 400 acre lease we had in Hamilton County. I think we paid $250 each for that place. No water, no electricity, sleep on the ground, wind up alarm clock. I'm glad those days are over.

Comment

I am going to start a project for a camper pod to put in my 16' trailer. about 7x8 then add a rooftop tent to it. Plan is to turn a 16 trailer to functional toyhauler/camper/tent thngy that I can sleep at least 4

Comment

Cab-over campers would work great for this kind of situation. If you get one, make sure you get electric camper jacks. I had manual jacks on the last one. And it took about an hour to either load or unload. But they are hard to beat for a weekend or a week.

My last was made for a 6' bed. And I had it in an 8' bed. The 2 extra feet were really nice when your boots are all muddy. And a well insulated one will really keep you warm. I spent one night public hunting where temps got to 17 at 3AM. But inside was 72 with nothing more than a Coleman Blackcat and 1lb bottle, on the lowest setting I could go. And the window cracked about 2" for ventilation.

I spend a lot of hunting time on public lands. So camping becomes second nature after a while.

I had a 3 room 10x20 foot cabin tent I bought just for camping when hunting full weekends or full weeks. But have since gotten a tent half the size due my age. Adding poly tarp arocross the top will add 5-10 degress of warmth to the inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	user79_pic1408_1237583864.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	24681920Click image for larger version

Name:	20131214_114706 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	24681921

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-13-2022, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Not anymore, I’m too old for that now.
                              But back in my younger days we camped in some pretty sketchy places.
                              One was a tarpaper shack, with pallets for a floor.
                              Another was a goat barn.
                              Compete with goats. [emoji1787]
                              Pic of said goat barn.

Comment

Younger years I could sleep in the truck, under the truck, bed of the truck. Cold , hot didn't matter. Once I passed 50 yo, no more. Bought a camp with electric, water, stove, shower, & nice beds & even a TV.

Comment

Working...
                                X