No announcement yet.

2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was blown away at my success rate from starting seeds. I figured I would get around 50% to come up as I didnt know anything about it or really research it. I am at 98% so I have 98 plants and only have room for about 30 more... haha

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
      are the grow bags made out of some type of fabric? Did you get them at a nursery?
      A garden website I get on has several people who use the cloth/woven synthetic grocery bags you can get @ most major stores for about a buck or so, . Not big enough for some veggies like taters etc, but will be enough for most single plants.

Comment

Thanks for the tip

Comment

Got mine all planted. Thinking about doubling size for just watermelon and cut flowers. Didn’t have success with watermelon last year though i believe due to low calcium. Most rotted once baseball size and had 1 great melon.

Comment

Just spent the last 3 hours tilling weeds… hasn’t rained yet and the battle begins! Need a tractor Like something fierce.

Comment

Beans and watermelon popped up today and herbs are starting to show. I direct sowed some tomatoes just to see how that would work and they are coming up too.

Comment

I have a few greens that have surfaced whose seeds I had planted in the fall. That was a nice surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                  Beans and watermelon popped up today and herbs are starting to show. I direct sowed some tomatoes just to see how that would work and they are coming up too.

I’ve been curious how direct sowing tomatoes works. Keep posting progress!

My beans came up today.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    Well it was a great planting day at our place!! It felt good to get out and actually put some plants in dirt!! Though they really aren't "in the ground"... I mixed our soil in a little utility trailer that is 4x8 with all metal sides... Made a good mixing bed. My wife has a little electric tiller for her beds and it worked like magic mixing up all the ingredients to create the potting soil... We used 2 parts compost, 2 parts peat moss and 1 part perlite. We planted a bunch of potatoes, some in dedicated potato grow bags, lots of several different kinds of peppers, a few tomatoes, broccoli, Swiss chard, Bok Choi, zucchini, and various greens... Even planted Zinnias and Marigolds as attractants for pollinators... Sure hope this works! If it does, I'll be a bag gardner from here on out as it is MUCH easier than a garden in the dirt!!

[ATTACH]1084893[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1084895[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1084894[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1084896[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1084897[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1084898[/ATTACH]

Used a very similar soil mix for my wicking tubs. So far so good. Very curious how the bags do as temps ramp up.

Comment

I'm working on an automatic watering system for the bags this year. bought a bunch of 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch tubing and fittings and a few hundred adjustable emitters. According to my calculations, I can run 240 emitters at 1gph on the system using my well... So far only have about 140 or so to do. Bags must be watered a little about every other day. I will be making wicking tubs for my blackberry plants, but doubt I get that done for this season... My mature berry plants are already bloomed out pretty good... just need to get in there and get the weeds under control... been so wet, I could not get my mower or DR string trimmer around them...

Comment

I finally got to use my bedder to make rows for my larger garden. Omg that is the answer to cutting down on the workload. First time I seen one when Mr Charlie was showing us his on here a while back. It’s definitely a life saver. I still need to learn to use the other features, this one came with 6 furrows on it and a middle buster. Just an fyi.
                        My taters, onions & green beans are up and doing well. Should finish planting everything else this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          I'm working on an automatic watering system for the bags this year. bought a bunch of 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch tubing and fittings and a few hundred adjustable emitters. According to my calculations, I can run 240 emitters at 1gph on the system using my well... So far only have about 140 or so to do. Bags must be watered a little about every other day. I will be making wicking tubs for my blackberry plants, but doubt I get that done for this season... My mature berry plants are already bloomed out pretty good... just need to get in there and get the weeds under control... been so wet, I could not get my mower or DR string trimmer around them...
                          Good report out on the growing bags.

Comment

My 2nd ever garden is planted. Got some stuff planted in March but last weekend I took out the crepe myrtle and roses bushes from the two corners, tilled up the dirt and added some garden soil. Got some other stuff planted as well. Carrots, bell peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, Swiss chard, okra, corn, basil, rosemary, cilantro, egg plant, honey dew, watermelon, Brussel sprouts, zucchini, squash... goodness. Bring it on!

Comment

My cowhorn pepper plant seems to have gone to sleep and stunted…. Hoping this week it shows some signs of life

Comment

My little garden is coming along.
                                Need some consistently warm weather.

Comment

Working...
                                X