.50 cal black powder sabot/bullet recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.50 cal black powder sabot/bullet recommendations

I'm new to BP shooting and I like to know what loads and bullets other hunters are using. I have a TC encore .50 and currently not getting a good shot group with loads that came with rifle. I bought the rifle and shooting supplies from a TBH member 2 years ago. Have TC 275 grain maxi-hunter and 295 grain Powerbelt bullets. I use two Hodgdon tiple 7 pellets when I shoot. I hunt late season deer and hogs in east TX. Currently shooting off bench I can only get 3" group at fifty yards. Any help and recommendations would be appreciated

I get good results with TC Shockwave bullets (250 grain sabots) and 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder...groups around 2" at 100 yards with my CVA Optima V2.

Comment

In my Encore I like TC Shockwave sabots with 250 gr bullet and 2 Triple 7 pellets. I get around 2" groups at 100 yds. I get about the same size groups if I use 3 pellets but the recoil is brutal.

Comment

i’ve been cleaning mine between every shot
        when you shoot at a deer it’s going to be from a clean cold barrel mine tends to shoot way different from a fouled barrel
        it’s a pain in the butt but oh well lol
        i didn’t think the powerbelt bullets killed very good either i went to the tc shockwave with the sabot seam to perform better than the powerbelt

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
          i’ve been cleaning mine between every shot
          when you shoot at a deer it’s going to be from a clean cold barrel mine tends to shoot way different from a fouled barrel
          it’s a pain in the butt but oh well lol
          i didn’t think the powerbelt bullets killed very good either i went to the tc shockwave with the sabot seam to perform better than the powerbelt
          My CVA Wolf is the same way. Without a clean barrel it widens the group a LOT. I thoroughly clean it after every shot at the range. My method, everyone has their own, is to hit the barrel with foaming bore cleaner and let it sit while I clean the breech plug and flash hole. I use a properly sized drill bit to clean the flash hole by hand of any carbon… really get it clean. Then turn to the barrel hitting it with a bore brush and patching until clean. Time for shot #2, rinse and repeat. Tedious, time consuming, but gives me a warm and fuzzy on what the rifle will do on a clean bore come deer season.

Said all that to say my Wolf will clover leaf three Hornady 240gr XTPs over two triple 7 pellets at 100yds when I follow that procedure.

Comment

I shoot only loose powder and 350gr 50 cal Buffalo lead bullets.

This is my preference because of very lethal under 3" groups at 100yds.
            Last edited by tigerscowboy; 01-23-2022, 03:54 PM.

Comment

IMO: Pellets don't get you the flexibility to further testing and truly dial-in the powder/load.

I hear shooters that like the all copper Powerbelts. I have some, still haven't opened box or the tray of Pyro-pellets.

If the law will allow me to sling lead out of the barrel, I always opt for the lead on big game (elk, bear, muley)

Comment

I’ve been using 295gr hollow point PowerBelts for the last two years but I’ve recently decided to make a switch. The PowerBelts load and shoot good in my CVA Wolf but they don’t hold up when shooting deer. I’ve been lucky to recover all the deer I’ve shot with them but they definitely seem to have run farther than they should’ve. There are plenty of YouTube videos where people show the PowerBelts disintegrating on impact. The only point I’m trying to make is if you want to punch paper, PowerBelts are good…if you are planning on hunting, research a little bit before deciding on what bullet to use.

I’ve decided to try the Thor Hammer 295gr and the Federal BOR Lock. I’ll buy both of them and use whichever one groups better with my gun.

The Best Muzzleloader Bullets on the Market - Thorâ„¢ Bullets - Bore Specific Black Powder Bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot powerbelts out of my CVA Accura and have really good success with them. I am a neck shooter, so deep penetration isn’t an issue. Accuracy is more of my concern.

Comment

Nothing but poor blood trails with powerbelts for us. Through 3 muzzle loader we're shooting 250 grain SSTs over 2 777 pellets or 100 grains of pyrodex.

I'd say 2" groups at 100 are pretty easy now that we scoped them. I literally bang flopped a doe at 65 last weekend thru a TC pro hunter

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've only shot Remington accu tips from my Remington UML with triple 7 pellets but it shoots them well.

Comment

I have an inline TC Thunderhawk that only like loose PYRODEX powder(90grs) and 350gr maxiball bullets. I use 777 primers.
                        I also have a CVA Wolf that likes two pellets, 777 primers and 295gr Powerbelt bullets and is best on the first shot.
                        Both sighted 75 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by HogCommander View Post
                          I get good results with TC Shockwave bullets (250 grain sabots) and 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder...groups around 2" at 100 yards with my CVA Optima V2.
                          this

Comment

I haven't shot mine in a year, but man it sure was fun. 100gr aka 2 pellets plus a 250gr bullet- will have to list my specifics when I get home in a few days, but it shot well.

Comment

Interesting thread. With luck a muzzleloader will be my next gun purchase. Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X