Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2022, 09:38 AM   #301
Paddy3-17
Four Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Who's out this morning?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Paddy3-17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2022, 12:34 PM   #302
C Mordecai
Nubbin' Buck
 
C Mordecai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Default

Going out this evening. Had a shooter buck walk in yesterday morning(within 20yds). I look over to tell my son (15yr) and hes asleep! Woke him up, he took aim, the buck stopped for 3 seconds then took off. Moral of the story: dont stay up so late if you are gonna be hunting in the morning.
C Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2022, 01:56 PM   #303
Aggiewelch
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Hunt In: Brown & Denton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy3-17 View Post
Who's out this morning?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I was out this morning. Beautiful morning but no deer moving at least for me. Saw 9 hogs but only at a distance.
Aggiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2022, 04:17 PM   #304
Paddy3-17
Four Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Staying all day. In a different spot this evening and have had two hunters walk past about 45 mins apart. Not sure if either one of them saw me. Didn't see any deer this morning.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Paddy3-17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2022, 09:04 AM   #305
Crookhunter
Ten Point
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Texas and Kansas
Default

Was out yesterday eve. Saw one doe walking in and one while hunting. Had someone in one of the trees I've been hunting all year, but that's public...
Crookhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2022, 11:02 PM   #306
Aggiewelch
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Hunt In: Brown & Denton County
Default

One last morning for horns tomorrow. Who sticking it out till the bitter end?
Aggiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2023, 05:03 PM   #307
Flybow
Nubbin' Buck
 
Flybow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhunter View Post
Was out yesterday eve. Saw one doe walking in and one while hunting. Had someone in one of the trees I've been hunting all year, but that's public...
I've been sharing a couple trees with other hunters. Scrapes on the bark and leaves around the base always look a little different when I get back to the tree.

I hope it wasn't me though because I had 3 hunters walk in on me Friday. I haven't seen so many folks in that area at once all season. Guess we were all trying one last time.
Flybow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2023, 09:35 PM   #308
troy_w_7
Ten Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybow View Post
I've been sharing a couple trees with other hunters. Scrapes on the bark and leaves around the base always look a little different when I get back to the tree.

I hope it wasn't me though because I had 3 hunters walk in on me Friday. I haven't seen so many folks in that area at once all season. Guess we were all trying one last time.
I think I hunted 4 trees this year that had recent or previous hunter sign on it. Scraped bark, bow hooks, tacs, etc. Crazy!
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2023, 11:06 PM   #309
troy_w_7
Ten Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

I shot my 3rd hog from the ground this season! It's crazy how close they'll let you get.

I also found a pretty good set of antlers, both were pretty weathered so probably a few years old, both the left side. Kind of odd they were laying on top of each other.

Also, found this fresh feeder; sending coordinates to the warden tomorrow.
Attached Images
   
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2023, 10:20 PM   #310
C Mordecai
Nubbin' Buck
 
C Mordecai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Default

Well that wraps it up for the season! We (my two boys and I) had a great season. I shot two deer, one coyote and almost sat on a cottonmouth!

For those who were drawn for deer, don't forget to turn in your Deer survey.
C Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2023, 10:21 PM   #311
ethan.hines
Nubbin' Buck
 
ethan.hines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Bedford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Mordecai View Post
Well that wraps it up for the season! We (my two boys and I) had a great season. I shot two deer, one coyote and almost sat on a cottonmouth!

For those who were drawn for deer, don't forget to turn in your Deer survey.

Where do we reply to the survey at? First year draw here


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ethan.hines is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2023, 06:12 PM   #312
troy_w_7
Ten Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan.hines View Post
Where do we reply to the survey at? First year draw here


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's on this page:

https://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/gr.../Hunting.shtml
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2023, 06:25 PM   #313
ethan.hines
Nubbin' Buck
 
ethan.hines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Bedford
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_w_7 View Post

Thanks! Do they need to be submitted in person? Or does e-mail work as well?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ethan.hines is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2023, 01:22 PM   #314
Double-AA
Four Point
 
Double-AA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Honey Grove, Denton, Caddo, Whitney, Angelina
Default

Anyone on here missing something from their saddle equipment setup? Inbox/msg me with description and I'll get it to you.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
Double-AA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2023, 04:53 PM   #315
C Mordecai
Nubbin' Buck
 
C Mordecai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-AA View Post
Anyone on here missing something from their saddle equipment setup? Inbox/msg me with description and I'll get it to you.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
Im not sure what button to click to Inbox/ msg.
We dropped a black Hero Clip (bow hanger) somewhere out there.
C Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2023, 04:54 PM   #316
C Mordecai
Nubbin' Buck
 
C Mordecai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan.hines View Post
Thanks! Do they need to be submitted in person? Or does e-mail work as well?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I emailed mine...I asked them if this was an OK way to submit....waiting to hear back.
C Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2023, 04:57 PM   #317
troy_w_7
Ten Point
 
troy_w_7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Hunt In: North TX Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan.hines View Post
Thanks! Do they need to be submitted in person? Or does e-mail work as well?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Says this on the website.

Please send all applications, questions, surveys, or other information regarding the hunting at Grapevine Lake to CESWF-Grapevine-Hunting@usace.army.mil. So I'm guessing we can email them.
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2023, 05:05 PM   #318
PondPopper
Pope & Young
 
PondPopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska
Default

Man I admire yalls patience!! It's impressive!!
PondPopper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2023, 12:18 AM   #319
Kevin
Pope & Young
 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-AA View Post
Anyone on here missing something from their saddle equipment setup? Inbox/msg me with description and I'll get it to you.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
OK, what's up with your profile buck? Is the skull plate cracked?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2023, 04:53 AM   #320
Double-AA
Four Point
 
Double-AA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Honey Grove, Denton, Caddo, Whitney, Angelina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
OK, what's up with your profile buck? Is the skull plate cracked?
He's just a wired looking 18 pt from Honey Grove.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
Attachment 1116644Attachment 1116645

Last edited by Double-AA; 01-19-2023 at 04:56 AM.
Double-AA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2023, 07:57 AM   #321
Double-AA
Four Point
 
Double-AA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Honey Grove, Denton, Caddo, Whitney, Angelina
Default

He's just a weird looking 18 pt from Honey Grove.



Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
Double-AA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2023, 03:12 PM   #322
public
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Keller, Tx
Hunt In: Fannin, Houston, Grayson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
OK, what's up with your profile buck? Is the skull plate cracked?
Lot of Mitch Rompola bucks in Honey Grove........
public is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2023, 07:06 PM   #323
C Mordecai
Nubbin' Buck
 
C Mordecai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Default

Arrow Mystery: Shot my first deer this season (spined it). Dropped on the spot. Put a second arrow through it to kill it. When I got home and was cleaning my arrows I noticed one has a foul smell. It was the vanes. Washed it with soap, Bleached it, hydrogen peroxide, mineral spirits, 409…nothing takes the smell away. This was at Thanksgiving. Left it outside for two months and it still stinks! What in the world? Any thoughts?
C Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2023, 11:18 PM   #324
Kirby86
Ten Point
 
Kirby86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Camo that doesn't match
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Mordecai View Post
Arrow Mystery: Shot my first deer this season (spined it). Dropped on the spot. Put a second arrow through it to kill it. When I got home and was cleaning my arrows I noticed one has a foul smell. It was the vanes. Washed it with soap, Bleached it, hydrogen peroxide, mineral spirits, 409…nothing takes the smell away. This was at Thanksgiving. Left it outside for two months and it still stinks! What in the world? Any thoughts?
Did you remove the nock and check inside the arrow?

For some reason standard diameter (.244, .245) the insert seems to let blood and lung/liver matter inside the shaft a bit easier than small diameter and micro diameter shafts.

I had a similar situation a few weeks after I shot a deer. So I popped the nock off and looked inside... to say it was gross was an understatement! I wound up swinging it outside and it slung that nasty stuff everywhere. Wound up washing the inside of the arrow and it got rid of it, but man did it stink!
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2023, 07:43 AM   #325
tward1604
Eight Point
 
tward1604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post
Did you remove the nock and check inside the arrow?

For some reason standard diameter (.244, .245) the insert seems to let blood and lung/liver matter inside the shaft a bit easier than small diameter and micro diameter shafts.

I had a similar situation a few weeks after I shot a deer. So I popped the nock off and looked inside... to say it was gross was an understatement! I wound up swinging it outside and it slung that nasty stuff everywhere. Wound up washing the inside of the arrow and it got rid of it, but man did it stink!
What he said. You never know what makes it in to the arrows. I always pull the nock and wash them out. They can get funky quick in there.
tward1604 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com