Chaparral Archery Deer 12/6-12/9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
    No advise but I got drawn for the first archery hunt, haapy to give you a recap after.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    I was drawn for the first archery hunt too. First time hunting the Chap.

Comment

My group got drawn for the December hunt also. Looking forward to it.

Comment

I was on the same hunt that Squiggy was on. It was hot that whole hunt. I hunted the compartment in the far NE Corner of the property. I would not recommend picking that spot if you're even allowed to pick.

It was crazy thick. You had no choice but to hunt the senderos or around the little water hole that was in the compartment. The name of that compartment was Ano Nuevo if memory serves me correctly. Only saw 1 deer over the 5 days. And it was a doe that saw me way before I saw her. Lol.

Did have some javelina come through and a huge hog but they all were well out of range.

A couple years later, 2020, my daughter drew the youth A/S hunt and we got assigned to West Guajolte pasture. It was awesome! We hunted out of one of the tower blinds and we saw I think 27 deer total. She ended up getting a javelina on the last morning. Took a shot at a doe but she missed. She was just 8 at the time.

I'd highly recommend that compartment if you're picking. Saw 2 shooter bucks as well but they were off the menu!

I will add that I would not recommend hunting the tower blind for archery. No animals(Except the javelina) came within 150 yards of that blind which was on a sendero intersection. Instead, I would go about 150-200 yards down the sendero in any direction and setup in there somewhere. All the deer seemed to have a radar around that bind. Lol. They aint dumb. I hope to draw it someday again!!! I think it may turn out different for me knowing what I know now.
        Last edited by Yakinthebox; 08-21-2022, 09:21 AM.

Comment

This hunt should be starting on a full moon(NOV7), not to worry though. So long as its not the heat wave the previous hunters experienced last year, with a front or decently cool temps, there should be some bucks getting arrowed mid day. Especially with the right antler music

Comment

I would wear snake protection. Grass is high, and policy was not to shoot them when I was there. Use Google Maps on phone, and take a pocket phone charger and compass.

Comment

2nd draw for me, didn't put in for many hunts this yr due to schedule. Hoping for another miracle standby draw if I can make it down.

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice. I plan on hunting all day. I’ve seen more animals on these draw hunts from 11am-2pm than any other time. It’s almost if the deer pattern the hunters leaving for lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
                  Thanks for all of the advice. I plan on hunting all day. I’ve seen more animals on these draw hunts from 11am-2pm than any other time. It’s almost if the deer pattern the hunters leaving for lunch.
                  Yeah, I believe the traffic of people heading out for lunch stirs them up.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

My son drew Gun either sex week after Christmas so gonna be following you guys closely for any tips or info. Good luck!

Comment

We drew the first archery hunt. I'll let you know how it goes!!

Comment

I'll be there on the same hunt. It looks like there's potential for this to be the best public land whitetail hunting available in Texas. Good Luck

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck to all, just temper expectations a little. This place is boom or bust with very little in the middle. Alot rides on the weather and moon. Some pastures will provide multiple shot opportunities and others you may not have a buck in front of you during daylight. I've been on hunts where not a single buck was killed(twice actually) and been times when multiple trophies were killed into the 150-160 range. Its a great hunt regardless, just don't expect to walk in the field and have 10 deer each sit and a choice of big bucks to shoot. It's not that type of hunt. You may go home empty handed and you may shoot the biggest buck of your life. Boom or Bust

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                            Good luck to all, just temper expectations a little. This place is boom or bust with very little in the middle. Alot rides on the weather and moon. Some pastures will provide multiple shot opportunities and others you may not have a buck in front of you during daylight. I've been on hunts where not a single buck was killed(twice actually) and been times when multiple trophies were killed into the 150-160 range. Its a great hunt regardless, just don't expect to walk in the field and have 10 deer each sit and a choice of big bucks to shoot. It's not that type of hunt. You may go home empty handed and you may shoot the biggest buck of your life. Boom or Bust
                            That's what makes public land hunting so enjoyable [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post

Very well described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We drew the same December hunt. Any idea when the assign compartments? I called yesterday and the lady didnt seem to sure but said she thought they gave out blind assignments the week before...

Comment

Working...
                                X