Drawn: Sout Llano Exotic rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn: Sout Llano Exotic rifle

Was drawn for first hunt in January for the South Llano River state park Exotic hunt. 20points drew finally. Any tips/information to help. went long time ago with my son on a youth hunt but was far south part of park didn't see exotics only a few whitetails. Thanks for any help.

Congrats. Just put out some alfalfa or chauffeur and shoot straight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Headed there myself for the late January hunt.

I don't know much about it other than visiting the park once about 10 years ago.

I've heard about taking alfalfa and of corn. Not much else to plan for hunting wise other than hope you get lucky with a low draw number allowing you to pick a good spot. It's by assigned blind so not much to do other than paint the yellow brick road and dust off the ole trigger finger.

Planning to take some light tackle gear and do a little fishing between hunts myself.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Slick8; 11-04-2022, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Bring lots of coolers with ice, and lots of knives.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
          Headed there myself for the late January hunt.

I don't know much about it other than visiting the park once about 10 years ago.

Planning to take some light tackle gear and do a little fishing between hunts myself.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
          My kid drew the youth deer hunt in December. The river fishing worth a darn in winter? I fished in in October one year and did really good. Would pack rods and reels if it’s worth it.

Comment

Stay down towards the river.

Comment

Axis are more in the park closer to the river early on the hunts and then move up to the old Walter Buck part of the park once pushed. I've hunted it twice in the last 8 years and we would see axis coming into the park after dark and then parading out before first light. Its a fun hunt and I'm sure you will have plenty of shot opportunities.

Comment

Zins, thanks for the tip.
                I take it from your post that the “Walter buck” part of the park is the chunk of land to the south of the river, HQ, and campgrounds?
                My kids hunt is the fifth hunt of the year (only the two exotic hunts from the exotic category draw are after it) my worry was that the targets may be a little more skittish or pressured by the time we go hunt and we don’t see many axis…

Comment

Working...
                X