Anchor/string angle/ATA ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anchor/string angle/ATA ?

Curious yalls thought on this. I’m running a v3 27 at a 28” draw. Peep is pretty high up on the string as is. I’ve always noticed the string is nowhere near the tip of my nose. If I turn my head enough to get my nose on string, the peep is high left, so I generally shoot with my cheek and nose off the string completely. I have a feeling this has to do with the shorter ATA. I shoot a wrist strap release. I had an archery instructor look at my shooting and he thinks my anchor is a little low (wants me to have it right in front of my earlobe (currently just above the angle of my jaw) and would want better string angles for more consistency. i could go up to a 33 or 35 ata and he also rec Moving up to a 29” draw as the way I’m shooting now, my back elbow is high to compensate for too short a draw. (71.5 wingspan for reference )

My question is if I shoot it fairly consistently at 20/30 but can see things opening up at 40+ , is it worth exploring going into a larger ATA bow like a 33”? Could that help untap some better consistency and accuracy by getting ideal string angles with a better anchor point ?

There is a good reason target archers shoot 35+ ATA bows.

That said after going down the long ATA bow trail that there is a happy medium for a hunter. After a ton of bows 34-36ata I'm going back to 33". I find they still have a good sting angle for consistent anchoring and plenty steady for longer shooting. I never bought into he whole short "tree stand" bow craze for the simple fact that they aren't going to be as forgiving. For 20-30 yard typical hunting distances, it probably doesn't matter much though.

I believe you'll find added accuracy at longer distances in going to a longer bow. The new elites with 1/4" draw length adjustment is very cool to really dial in what's comfortable.

Comment

That’s good to know. I think I’m gunna do it. Just needed any excuse for a new bow

Comment

shoot what feels the most comfortable and enjoyable for you.

If the bow let's you go to 28.5, try that when you change your DL.divide your wingspan by 2.5 as your starting point. You'd get 28.6. I'd rather be .1 too short than .4 too long.

At my 30.5 DL, I don't like any bow under 33 ATA but prefer them in the 34-35.

Comment

If you want to shoot your shorter ata bow, I highly recommend a nose button. I have them on all of my bows for an additional anchor point reference.

Comment

Working...
          X