Lanwr Bahia Grande Exotic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lanwr Bahia Grande Exotic.

A fellow tbh'r and I got drawn for a shotgun/muzzleloader hunt there in February. Pretty excited about this one!

I saw were that. Congrats. I have hunted down that way twice now but never this unit

Comment

I got drawn along with my buddy for Feb 24-26th! Let’s get this thread going!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My gun for the hunt
        Attached Files

Comment

is that a 20 or 12. good luck down there. I didn't draw squat this year.

Comment

I haven’t decided what gun I’m going to take or try to acquire for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
              is that a 20 or 12. good luck down there. I didn't draw squat this year.
              It's a 12. A brutal, painful 12.

Comment

Aah... A Mossberg 695! I had one set up for deer/nilgai on East Lake.

I cast and loaded my ammo. The component stack... I used a full bore bullet.

The loaded hull with the components identified.

Ballistics...

I did not have any luck at the Refuge, but I used it on many large hogs on my ranch. It would knock a big hole through them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranch_Dog View Post
                  Aah... A Mossberg 695! I had one set up for deer/nilgai on East Lake.

I cast and loaded my ammo. The component stack... I used a full bore bullet.

The loaded hull with the components identified.

Ballistics...

I did not have any luck at the Refuge, but I used it on many large hogs on my ranch. It would knock a big hole through them.

Do you still have it?

Comment

So after some research I’m not still not sure on if this hunt is suitable for a bike/e-bike?! Or should I pos or em bring a kayak? I know google earth can be deceiving at times but looks to be a lot of water/marsh area.

Comment

I'll be taking an ebike. I dont think kayaks are allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                        I'll be taking an ebike. I dont think kayaks are allowed.

Not to sure as they take forever on any hunt to send the permit and or rules it seems like.

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
                          Not to sure as they take forever on any hunt to send the permit and or rules it seems like.

I always get my permit and rules as soon as I pay for the permit. Now the parking permit on the other hand is a whole different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                            I always get my permit and rules as soon as I pay for the permit. Now the parking permit on the other hand is a whole different story.

I got it and didn’t realize it was attached in the email hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
                              Do you still have it?
                              Sorry for the delay in replying; I missed your post. No, I sold it. I had purchased two other old slug bolt guns, a Marlin 512 and Western Field 170. These slug guns are considerably lighter than the Mossberg; you pay at the shot, but they are easier to tote on a public hunt. I also have a rifled barrel with the cantilever scope mount for my Mossberg 500 and a smooth slug barrel with open sights.

I'm old and smart enough to apply for these hunts with younger fellows. I told them I would supply the slug guns as they would be used little.

I use Sabot Tech's Hammerheads with the 512; the rifled barrel loves them. I bought the mold and 500 sabots. I figured that ought to last me.

I went to my bookmark to post the link for reloaders, and they are gone. That's unfortunate, as the Hammerhead was a great hunting slug. I have a Lee slug load as a runner-up, but I doubt I will need it. Anyway, here is the firearm and ammo.

I became obsessed with old slug guns and ran into the Western Field 170. Despite being open-sighted, it became my favorite, hands down. I ended up killing a bunch of whitetails with it on my ranch. Mossberg manufactured the 170 as the 395; however, I never could find a clean example of it. Western Field firearms were manufactured for Montgomery Wards. Young fellows will not know that name.

I have both two and five-round magazines for the 170. Numrich still had them in stock. I hunt with the two-round flush magazine.

This smoothbore loves the Lee 1 oz slug, which makes it very easy to reload if you get into casting. Here is the load cutaway.

A perfect fit leaving the barrel.

Comment

Working...
                              X