Help with pipe fence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with pipe fence.

Buddy is coming over tomorrow to cut my saddles and weld the top rail on. We looked at it last night and of course it's not level. So to keep the top rail straight is it better to leave a gap at the bottom or trench out in spots for the wire? I'll be using 4' no climb horse fencing.

Depending on what your holding in or out probably a little of both to allow for level or slight float depending on contour of land.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a gap, makes the welding more tricky if to large, but go with what looks best but either will work. But if the pipe going verticle are not straight, why not run a string and cut them level? If im understanding that correctly? But as stated above sometimes how level or not depends on how level the land is.

Comment

Help with pipe fence.

Building longer sections of fence completely level is nearly impossible. I’ve built quite a bit of fence, and there are very few cases where the ground is level, even if it looks like it to the naked eye. Unless you are building on a completely level surface, you are going to be better off leveling your posts and going off the lay of the land for your top rail. A measuring tape and a string is going to be your best friend.

Comment

i always measure the height i want on every 4th upright unless the area you're putting it has deep dips and washed out areas. you get a better looking "flow" on the top rail that way. You may have to grub out a little or have a couple of inch gap, but i think it looks better this way.

Comment

Originally posted by fishman View Post
            i always measure the height i want on every 4th upright unless the area you're putting it has deep dips and washed out areas. you get a better looking "flow" on the top rail that way. You may have to grub out a little or have a couple of inch gap, but i think it looks better this way.

This.

Comment

by the way, if you have someone willing to come over to saddle and weld in this heat, that is what you call a good friend!

PS.
              have a bucket of water close by!

Comment

Originally posted by fishman View Post
                by the way, if you have someone willing to come over to saddle and weld in this heat, that is what you call a good friend!

PS.
                have a bucket of water close by!
                He is a friend but I am paying him.

Here are a couple of pictures to show the contour of the lot. And our concern was how the wire would work if the top rail wasn't straight.
                Attached Files

Comment

Leave gap and fill some dirt !
                  4’ gonna get short on you if you trench.
                  Or go with the contour to some degree.

Comment

I think I'm going to cheat it a little both ways, have a small gap in a few places and have to dig a little in a few places. That way the top is level and looks nice can mama going to want it to look good.

Comment

That’s pretty flat. I would run it level, especially if it going across your front yard. Stay hydrated in this heat!

Comment

I wish.

Man, I thought this thread was about fencing over rough land. I wish I could build pipe fence on that property.

Here is an example of wire fence we just did. I wish it was pipe
                        Attached Files

Comment

Runa string line down it and start clamping or tying it until you get a nice flowing line to it at close to 4'

Comment

With a Fence Bullet, welding issues on your fencing projects are history. Creates flexibility for your fencing needs through fast and easy installation requiring no specialized equipment or skills. Look no further for the ultimate strong and secure fast pipe fence brace connector system.

Comment

There is a place by me that built a pipe fence that goes 2 miles on each side of the road. They set posts and then measured from ground up and cut the posts.

Lots of elevation change in the land so it looks good

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X