Electrical wiring expansion on SxS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical wiring expansion on SxS

For those that have expanded or added on more circuits to their side by sides, what would you do differently and why? I have added lights, bumper feeder power and other things in the past, but I am taking a slightly different approach this time around and thought more minds would be helpful.

I am going to run a dedicated line from the battery to the front compartment (mine are Kawasaki Mule's) and mount a smaller fuzebox there. From that fuzebox I will then run all my accessories I want. Direct run will be marine grade 8 gauge (had some left over from my boat wiring) and while I know it is overkill, its essentially free.

Any thoughts on how to get power to the roof in a clean manner? What about accessories that you have always wished you had added? Will be adding green light bar, feeder power front and rear, some additional lights on the rear.

I put lights on the back that go thru a relay to turn on when I put it in reverse.

Comment

If you have kids around, wiring a relay in for your feeders will save you some money. Ive had it dine on every sxs we own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I ran my light bar, roof and reverse light power thru the roll cage.

Drilled a hole in the bottom and top and fished a wire thru. All switches are in the roof.

It's all fed with a car amplifier wire and fuse terminal under the hood

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
          If you have kids around, wiring a relay in for your feeders will save you some money. Ive had it dine on every sxs we own.

I get the relay, but what does that have to do with the kids? Feel like I am missing something here.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            I ran my light bar, roof and reverse light power thru the roll cage.

Drilled a hole in the bottom and top and fished a wire thru. All switches are in the roof.

It's all fed with a car amplifier wire and fuse terminal under the hood

I like the idea of going through the rollbar. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post

Me too…. Even with adding a light bar to a quad. I always use a relay as instructed by a professional installer (cop cars) and never had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                Me too…. Even with adding a light bar to a quad. I always use a relay as instructed by a professional installer (cop cars) and never had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                The original quote about the relays got me thinking, so I did a deep dive on exactly why they were needed, etc. Summary I came up with was if the amp draw on the light (or other load) was close to or exceeding the amp capacity of the switch, the relay was the only way to go. I ended up wiring everything without a relay, but I did use 14 gauge wire runs from the secondary fuze block, and verified that my switches are all rated for 20 amps. None of the lights or feeders indicated that on startup or full load would get anywhere near that.

But....if I am wrong or misunderstood, please correct me.

Comment

I had a 100 watt Amp in mine without a relay.

Comment

Look up VOSWITCH boxes. I just bought one from amazon the other day. I plan to use this on my new Northsar if it works good we will be doing the same to my dads.

All of our other ranger we just drilled holes in the dashes and kept adding switches. But all of my factory knockouts on my new 2022 are full. So i went this route. I dont have any feedback on it yet. I can tell you this from what little i have messed with the box it seems very HD and well made. You run one main battery line to it then everything else has its own relay and output coming out of the box. Think mine is the 8 gang version.
                    These seemed to be built better than the AUXBEAMs on amazon.

Comment

Also in the past on our old rangers. I had a 12v 2 prong trailer plug ran to the bed for Sprayers. I also made my own jumper from that to female cigarette lighter so we could plug in spotlights for coyote hunting. Some of our cheap spotlights we just put the 2 prong plugs on those. I would just tie it up to rollcage or store under the seat when not in use. Buy some molded together Black and Red wire for this so it makes it pretty clean.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                        Look up VOSWITCH boxes. I just bought one from amazon the other day. I plan to use this on my new Northsar if it works good we will be doing the same to my dads.

All of our other ranger we just drilled holes in the dashes and kept adding switches. But all of my factory knockouts on my new 2022 are full. So i went this route. I dont have any feedback on it yet. I can tell you this from what little i have messed with the box it seems very HD and well made. You run one main battery line to it then everything else has its own relay and output coming out of the box. Think mine is the 8 gang version.
                        These seemed to be built better than the AUXBEAMs on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Voswitch-Prog...ps%2C83&sr=8-3
                        That is a really interesting setup. I have already run the wires and switches for all 3 mules now, but the next duckboat setup I do or truck I will definitely be looking at that.

Comment

Working...
                        X