Paging Rob - Tuna fishing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paging Rob - Tuna fishing Question

Going on a 1.75 day tuna trip out of San Diego 2nd week of May. Since Rob is the resident fishing guru out that way, looking for suggestions on jigs to take/use.

I'm going on a 4 day in July and been researching this a lot. Night fishing is the prime method right now. Getting deep fast seems to be more important than details. Mark your line so you can go directly to the depth that the captain calls out. Rip rollers seem to be the local favorite right now in iron man and lumo polka dot. Anything between 250-500 gram, depending on current. Meltons has the 500 gram but that's a lot of work if not necessary. Everyone else is sold out unless you pay $30+ each on Ebay. You'll want to replace hooks and split rings. The locals are running 200lb leader for big fish. I think I'm going to try 150lb.

I also plan to fish the oti jumbo. Its shaped similar to the rip roller. Its round and bottom weighted. It does an excellent job of shooting straight down and not getting blown out by the current.

Comment

Let me know if interested. All hooks and rings have been changed out. Couple of weight options in each.

Send PM if interested

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
        I'm going on a 4 day in July and been researching this a lot. Night fishing is the prime method right now. Getting deep fast seems to be more important than details. Mark your line so you can go directly to the depth that the captain calls out. Rip rollers seem to be the local favorite right now in iron man and lumo polka dot. Anything between 250-500 gram, depending on current. Meltons has the 500 gram but that's a lot of work if not necessary. Everyone else is sold out unless you pay $30+ each on Ebay. You'll want to replace hooks and split rings. The locals are running 200lb leader for big fish. I think I'm going to try 150lb.

I also plan to fish the oti jumbo. Its shaped similar to the rip roller. Its round and bottom weighted. It does an excellent job of shooting straight down and not getting blown out by the current.

That sounds like a fun trip. Luckily San Diego is only 3.5 hours from me, so I’m planning on some more trips.

Your right about the night bite, right now 12-4 am is producing some good fish. I was able to find some jigs locally and will have 200 lb leaders. Some of the Point Loma boats just returned with a couple 200+ cows.

One other jig that was suggested is a nomad streaker. Weights between 300-400g from what I was told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck! I'd love to make a trip out there one day.

Comment

Working...
          X