Need new arrows...advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need new arrows...advice

Down to 1 good and 1 ok arrow at this point. Looking for advice on spine. Right now I'm shooting a 45# sage with a 30" draw. The arrows I have are 500 spine. Was wanting to build a heavier arrow for broadheads eventually that I can practice with. Looking at the simmons tiger sharks at 175gr. Possibly brass inserts as well. Trying to figure out if 400 or even 350 is best for something like this? Apologize in advance, just a noob looking for advice, thanks.
    Forgot to add, these will prob stay full length. The arrows I have right now I draw the field point onto the shelf.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fishxbones; 10-29-2018, 10:46 PM.

Can we think or assume the 45# Sage is rated at 28", which would make it actually more like 50#at your 30" drawlength?

If so, 400 spine should be fine for even pretty heavy front weight. I've shot 400-spine arrows of up to 680 grains from 50# to 69# bows. Now, the problem with really heavy arrows out of not-so-heavy bows is that they are slow. I built heavy arrows, then kept getting heavier bows until they shot them fast enough to be huntable, basically.

Don't necessarily follow my path, but the 400 spine arrows should give you a fair amount of flexibility is what I'm saying.

Comment

Yes thanks tradtiger. 45#@28" so prob 50# at my draw. Appreciate the advice!

Comment

I've got two bows I shoot in the 50lb range and shoot 500s out of them. That said I have 150 grain heads and the arrows are only 28.5" so 400s will probably work better for you.

Gary

Comment

You can make a .400 work, and it will make a fine heavy hunting arrow. To do this, you will probably have to add a bit more than 175gr to the front end. It might take a 50, 75, or even a 100gr insert and playing with length to make everything work. If your draw length is 30”, you should be at about 51# or so actual draw weight. Let tuning tell you when you have the perfect combination.

I use a very similar arrow. I shoot 48.5-50# at my 29” draw length. My arrow is a .400 spine, 31.5” Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket with a 75gr brass insert and a 150gr point. It tunes and flies great, and is 563gr total arrow weight.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks drt and bisch. My 1 good arrow is an axis fmj and I really like the way it flies. Not sure i can swing the cost of them right now so was looking at axis carbon or axis traditional for the time being.

Comment

Once you decide on the shaft let me know and I'll come help with the limited knowledge I have and the little pile of various inserts and field points I have. Once figured out I'll even drink beer and watch you fletch them.

Richard.
              Last edited by Junkers88; 10-31-2018, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                Once you decide on the shaft let me know and I'll come help with the limited knowledge I have and the little pile of various inserts and field points I have. Once figured out I'll even drink beer and watch you fletch them.

Richard.
                Sounds good man. Gonna order some shafts and inserts tonight. We can drink some brews and see how bad I can screw up an arrow lol.

Comment

good luck, still shooting good

Comment

Working...
                  X