Considering a used bay boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a decent resource

Browse the largest inventory of new and used Bay Boat boats from dealers and private sellers. Boats For Sale - the fun, fast and enjoyable online boat buying experience

Comment

Don't be scared to buy older, particulary if it's the right hull, or motor or has light hours.
      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

The money just doesn't go very far on boats these days. A 22' boat in decent shape with newer and adequate power is going to be tough at $25k.

I'd tell you to figure out what you want first. Go ride in some different types of hulls. They all look good. Only running one will tell you if it'll do what it looks like it ought to do and do what you need it to do.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJake View Post
          Good site, just did a search for my buddy that's looking for a bay boat.

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
            Don't be scared to buy older, particulary if it's the right hull, or motor or has light hours.
            Yeah, I've been seeing some decent looking deals not far outside my criteria, so I'm certainly open to being flexible on the right boat.

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
            The money just doesn't go very far on boats these days. A 22' boat in decent shape with newer and adequate power is going to be tough at $25k.

I'd tell you to figure out what you want first. Go ride in some different types of hulls. They all look good. Only running one will tell you if it'll do what it looks like it ought to do and do what you need it to do.
            Understood, and I'm seeing that as I've been expanding my search. I've based most of my criteria on my experience on friends' boats I've been on - from small poling skiffs to 25' Haynies so I feel I've got enough to go on. Of course, anything I seriously consider I'll want to get on the water before making a final decision.

Comment

Ok my questions are this:

1. Where in rockport do you want to fish? You can be in 6”
              Or 60ft.
              2. Where are you going to launch? Are you frequently going to make the run across aransas bay? You going to run the ditch to the jetties? You going to go off shore? You going to fish Estes or you going get oyster rash in copono?
              3. Boat fish or wade? Live or artificial only?

All these questions matter greatly in rockport. Rockport is one place that you have the option to do it all. And boat choice matters for your options and happiness.

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
                Ok my questions are this:

1. Where in rockport do you want to fish? You can be in 6”
                Or 60ft.
                2. Where are you going to launch? Are you frequently going to make the run across aransas bay? You going to run the ditch to the jetties? You going to go off shore? You going to fish Estes or you going get oyster rash in copono?
                3. Boat fish or wade? Live or artificial only?

All these questions matter greatly in rockport. Rockport is one place that you have the option to do it all. And boat choice matters for your options and happiness.
                All great questions.

1. I want to have flexibility to fish a larger array of spots than I currently have, either when going out by myself in my kayak, or going with my buddies with smaller boats. My kayak is a Hobie with the fin drive, so while I can coast through fairly shallow water with my fins up, it's most comfortable in 14+". I have a buddy with a technical poling skiff than can get super-skinny, so I can just go out with him if I want to stay shallow all day. Another buddy has a 17' shallow bay boat that's nice and efficient for 2 guys wanting to spend time on the water, but just beats the heck out of you if it's choppy. I took all these factors into consideration in looking at a larger boat. If I can get across the bays somewhat comfortably on a breezy day, that's ideal. I'm not looking for an offshore monster, but would love to get out to the jetties.

2. I'm most familiar with launching at Cove Harbor and Conn Brown, and would like to explore more in Copano, St Charles and across Aransas bays. I love drifting the flats and working shorelines, though there's something nice about finding a spot to anchor down and just hang for a while to see what comes by.

3. The majority will be boat fishing, though having the option to jump out and wade, or park it and duck hunt would be a plus. I enjoy throwing lures mostly, but I don't look down my nose at using live and dead bait, especially if I have newer fishermen with me.

I've enjoyed exploring the waters around here the past 2 years we've lived here, and that's why I'm wanting to take the next step to having my own boat. I've appreciated all the input and advice so far!

Comment

So with that said you should be fine with a multiple purpose semi shallow semi V or cat hull. I personally prefer the cats. Several guides in that area and a ton in Matagorda run the Tran SVT. Back in the 90’s and 2000’s the blue wave supper tunnels was one of the most popular options and you could see 25-50 a day in town. The pathfinder is a rockport icon as well as a mowdy.
                  To be honest a good solid older hull quality hull of Tran majek pathfinder gulf coast might be your best bet. Have it checked out. Dont worry about the motor age or brand just get it checked out by a reputable mechanic. If it seaworthy and reliable run it. Buy a SEATOW or boat US membership 180 year. And run the boat. When it breaks for good go and buy you a brand new 140 or 200 Suzuki and finance for 6 years through Suzuki. In your price range this is probably your best bet. Buy the quality hull you want. Not saying deals are not out there but this I feel is going to be your best route. Don’t worry about the Ttop when that time comes PM me. I will save you a ton of money. Second trolling motors can be picked up at various classifieds and you got a great minkota repair place in town. But if you want to fish the jetties then spot lock is a must. GPS. You don’t need the best. All you need can be picked up for 4-800. Join 2cool and multiple other boat pages on FB. If you got any more questions feel free to ask. For the record boat 5 and 6 are in my drive way. And I only buy custom aluminum boats. But you can’t find what I own, it took me 10 years to find it. If I was buying a glass hull new or slightly used in the mid tier range I would look hard at freedom patriot. It’s 18 but fishes like a 20. Or a used Tran cat.

Comment

This heck of a deal with a great motor that is great in gas and reliability. There are many great other boat brands. This is one. Don’t be afraid to look inland. In fact I would almost prefer to look inland and around a lake. Tran in palacios also has a lot of options on the lot typically not just Tran and he also takes in boats and does a great refurbish job.

Comment

Thanks, snipermedic! Lots to consider there.

Comment

Take a look at this one!

Comment

Just an update that I am now actively looking for a boat. With the feedback I received here, and research I've been doing along the way, I've updated my parameters:

Budget - up to $35k

Length - 20-22'

Age - less than 10 years, or at least a good hull with a newer motor

Preferred brands - Pathfinder, Majek, Tran, Dargel

Preferred features
                          PowerPole or similar
                          T-top or bimini (wife is fair-skinned)
                          trolling motor
                          navigation/GPS system
                          storage
                          somewhat comfortable/dry in chop
                          12" or less draft (not looking for a super-skinny skiff, but I'd like to drift the flats without dragging)

Things to avoid
                          E-Tec or Optimax engines (apparently hard to get parts for, per the shop)
                          underpowered vessels (I'd like something that can get out of its own way)
                          damaged or fixer-upper situations

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
                            Just an update that I am now actively looking for a boat. With the feedback I received here, and research I've been doing along the way, I've updated my parameters:

Budget - up to $35k

Length - 20-22'

Age - less than 10 years, or at least a good hull with a newer motor

Preferred brands - Pathfinder, Majek, Tran, Dargel

Preferred features
                            PowerPole or similar
                            T-top or bimini (wife is fair-skinned)
                            trolling motor
                            navigation/GPS system
                            storage
                            somewhat comfortable/dry in chop
                            12" or less draft (not looking for a super-skinny skiff, but I'd like to drift the flats without dragging)

Things to avoid
                            E-Tec or Optimax engines (apparently hard to get parts for, per the shop)
                            underpowered vessels (I'd like something that can get out of its own way)
                            damaged or fixer-upper situations

Goofiefoot, Call Mt Houston Marine. My cousin Tyler & Ashley run it, they will get you in a Pathfinder or Dargel, he is also a BlueWave dealer and has other types of boats that may fit your type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, folks, I found my boat. Not exactly the direction I thought I'd go, but these weren't on my radar until I saw this one. I feel really good about the deal I made on it, and it leaves plenty in the budget for add-ons and maintenance.

2006 Mosca 22' Bay Raider
                              2011 Suzuki DF250SS with ~400 hours

This thing rides well, and the raised console is nice! Plenty of motor for the boat, and it pops up on plane very quickly. Lots of storage, too.

My first additions will be a Power Pole, and I'll look into some sort of shade for it - probably a removable bimini.

Thanks to y'all for the input!

Comment

Nice boat.

Comment

Working...
                                X