Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
    Your deer look about the same as most of ours. We have a few that are popping G3 and even G4.
    Most are just pat their g2 especially the bigger deer
    Good to know. I see other threads of bucks that are already scoring 140+ inches and our bucks are just growing their G2's. I'm hoping we will see some good growth with two wet years in a row plus being on our 5th year of protein feeding.

Comment

Really the area has had 3 pretty good yrs now. Should be a great yr and the protein will help also. We didn't feed near as much this year. Was too muddy for alot of the year for the feed truck to get around.

Don't think they will miss it much this year tho!

Comment

Your place is looking Good! Congrats! Our deer horn growth over near San Saba is just like yours. Got a couple that are looking really good already & some just getting going.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
          Your place is looking Good! Congrats! Our deer horn growth over near San Saba is just like yours. Got a couple that are looking really good already & some just getting going.
          Thanks! We are scheduled to do our first deer count together with our neighbors this August. I'm hoping we can get the neighbors on board bc it would make it that much better, but only time will tell. At this point, all I would like to see them do is to keep the deer numbers at or below carrying capacity.

Comment

7/2/2016 Update

They are really tearing up the cottonseed. Here is a picture of the cottonseed feeders one week after they were filled to the top:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7955 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	24450099

Name:	IMG_7953 (Large).jpg
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	24450100

Comment

I'll be at the ranch this weekend to check trail cam pics and fill all of the protein feeders. It's been 3 weeks since we filled the protein feeders and it's been very hot and dry. I'm hoping we get some rain towards the end of July. Ill post pictures and trail cam pictures later this weekend. I'm hoping to see some good growth.

Comment

Looking forward to it.

Comment

7/18/16 Update

Well, it was hot and very dry out there. We need some rain in a bad way. The deer are hammering all of the feed. They emptied our two 1,200lb plus protein feeders and all three cottonseed feeders in 3 weeks. i will post some pictures later today.

Comment

Deer have been hammering the feed (and water) at our place too. Started filling four baskets at the start of the year and had to cut it back to two in April in an attempt to make it last longer. Bought one more ton in June and the deer cleared it out in a little over a month on a little more than 400 acres (along with 1000 pounds of free choice protein).

Comment

You are right about DRY! C'mon rain! Animals are really starting to hit our protein now. New place so they had to get used to it. In the last 2 weeks it has happened.

Comment

Any pics

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                          Any pics

Yes, I'll post some trail cam pics tonight after I put the kids down. Sorry it's taken me so long.

Comment

Pictures

Here are some recent trail camera pictures. We still haven't seen several of the bigger bucks from last year, but there are several good young bucks.

Name:	MFDC3398 (Large).jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	24452783

Name:	MFDC3412 (Large).jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	24452784

Name:	MFDC3466 (Large).jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	24452785

Name:	MFDC3625 (Large).jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	24452786

Name:	MFDC3738 (Large).jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	24452787

Name:	MFDC3974 (Large).jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	24452788

Name:	PICT0153 (Large).jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	24452789

Name:	PICT0252 (Large).jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	24452790

Name:	PICT0335 (Large).jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	24452791

Comment

you should call there deer In the second pic Moses...looks like he parted his brows like the Red Sea

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                                you should call there deer In the second pic Moses...looks like he parted his brows like the Red Sea

I like it! We have pictures of this buck last year from April until the end of July and then we never saw him again. I hope he stays so we can go after him. He may not have great antlers, but he is unique and really old.

Comment

Working...
                                X