No announcement yet.

Raising exotics, looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like others have said Blackbucks will not last long if you have very many coyotes in your area. The yotes will have a hay day on them in a small pasture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Blackbuck , fallow , transcaspian urial.

Comment

The place I'm talking about is 400 acres, we don't have a lot of coyotes in the area, but I'm sure I'll realize how many we really have once I turn something loose.

You would think that sheep would be able to live in a Walmart parking lot, but I've herd they are really hard to keep alive. But I'm not interested in any of the "exotic" sheep, with the exception of pure mouflon, red sheep, or transcaspian urial.

I'll start an on going thread in the near future with updates I've done, and will do, on that place. Digging ponds, building fence, planting trees, etc will be posted. Right now I'm planning on blackbuck with one other "super exotic" species that I can make good money on. This will be a long term, fun project that will give me something else to do and check on.

Comment

How are the fences?

Comment

I’d go with oryx and blackbuck if you think you don’t have coyote problem. I can get you anything you want though if you need help. I’ll be catching axis next week.

Comment

We have some Urials. Let me know if you are interested. I think we have 6-8 ewes and 8 rams.

Kudu, sable, nyala, Urials are what we have done. It has been good. If I had to rank them I would say Sable, Kudu, Nyala, Urial in that order. Females are your money animals when you get into super exotics. Gemsbok are hardy but we had problems mixing them with other animals as soon as they have calves. Blackbuck/axis/whitetail you hope for males, Super Exotics you hope for females!

Comment

Blackbucks are fun but they spread like crazy. We put 9 blackbuck doe and 2 bucks on our place last Spring and had over 20 by this Spring. Thankfully the coyotes found a couple and we several of the doe. If I had to do it over I would stock only a couple of doe or only stock bucks that way you don't have to worry about managing the herd along with managing your whitetail #'s.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                  Blackbucks are fun but they spread like crazy. We put 9 blackbuck doe and 2 bucks on our place last Spring and had over 20 by this Spring. Thankfully the coyotes found a couple and we several of the doe. If I had to do it over I would stock only a couple of doe or only stock bucks that way you don't have to worry about managing the herd along with managing your whitetail #'s.
                  Let me know if you need help catching and selling some when you get too many.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                    Wild hogs
                    Haha you mixed up supply and demand.

Comment

Blackbuck are very easy I would start with that

Comment

Originally posted by Avidhunter1356 View Post
                        Blackbuck are very easy I would start with that
                        Hey Avidhunter1356 do you currently buy and sell exotics?

Comment

Map with that acreage and your goals you might look quality over quantity. Ranch I currently manage has a 200 acre play pen. 9 different exotics to look at and live sale. Wildebeest, oryx and the nilgai have all done very well and give a baby per year and the nilgai have two. Entry price isn’t terrible and live sale price is solid. Last wildebeest I sold were 4,500.00 for males and 5,500.00 for females and 18-24 months old. Oryx we bought were 2.5k for females and I got a broke horn male for 2k. Expect to get 1,500.00 whole sale. The nilgai were 1,750.00 when we got them and the 4 females have all had two babies in the last year. Not sure the whole sale on them but would expect the 1250 to 1500 dollar range now that the market picked up. Make sure they come
                          From high fence stock or they might just break out. Good luck

Comment

Forgot to add all Three of those are on grass and brush alone. I keep salt and mineral out but don’t feed protein to them. I do put alfalfa out before big cold front on the winter but ever that’s minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
                              Forgot to add all Three of those are on grass and brush alone. I keep salt and mineral out but don’t feed protein to them. I do put alfalfa out before big cold front on the winter but ever that’s minimal.
                              BrokenJ does your operation trade frequently?

Comment

I use Dale Caffey out of Eden to buy and sell animals. All young stock is sold and when breed stock gets old we sell and roll fresh genetics in. Has worked great. We don’t run huge numbers of any of the animals. 6 wildebeest, 5 oryx, 6 nilgai, 20 axis, 10, fallow,25 blackbuck.

Comment

Working...
                                X