No announcement yet.

First Thinning.... What to Expect???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a lease I was on for the last 5 years it was thinned prior to me getting on it in 2015. The thinning lanes were approximately 30’ wide. The reason I say that is the tractor I use deer hunting has a 4’ brush hog and I make 7 passes mowing the lanes. Now five years later it looks like that pic above cleared to the dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
      Do you own the place or leasing? If you own it, you need to have a talk with the forester beforehand and make it clear what you expect after the cut. They may be able to do a lot of work for you before they leave with the equipment. Terrace any possible erosion points, clear the roads and trails and creek crossings, etc.
      In either case, you could sure use a tractor with a grapple. Get in there right after the cut and make it like you want it before the grass, yaupon, and sweetgum cover it all up. That way it will be easier to maintain.
      My forester selects the crews based on what we want to do. Example, if it is a selective cut, he will get a crew with a real good cutter operator that understands what to cut and what to leave.
      Im Leasing the place. Hopefully they will cut the place to both our benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMane View Post
        Im Leasing the place. Hopefully they will cut the place to both our benefit.
        Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
          Good luck!
          not too terribly worried , it needs to be thinned. Ill make do with whatever they do.

Comment

Sometimes they take out ever other row and every other tree in rows left..Whatever most cases it will help hunting...But changes things and patterns...Try to protect your stuff /give them room to get around it...best you can

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
              Sometimes they take out ever other row and every other tree in rows left..Whatever most cases it will help hunting...But changes things and patterns...Try to protect your stuff /give them room to get around it...best you can
              all my blinds and feeders are mobile. Either on skids or trailer. Tree stands will be taken down before they cut for sure.

Comment

Take tree stands down now to make sure. When they decide to cut there probably won't be much notice even if they told you they will. We had lost a few stands cameras and a hog trap due to logging and burning.

Comment

If you can be there and talk to the guy running the shear he will probably make shooting lanes where you want them for a 50 dollar bill. Great chance to drastically improve your hunting from straight plantation. Beauty berry will be everywhere next year.

Comment

If me, I would go ahead and get my summer and fall food plot seed purchased. Line up a tractor with front end loader and small tandem disc.

Once the loggers are finished, take advantage of the already disturbed areas and get those areas prepped for planting. Use the front end loader to push any unwanted tops into piles for future burning or at least out of the way of your future shooting lanes and food plots.

Then post photos....

Also as mentioned above, I would for sure locate all my feeders and easily movable stands to your camp area.

Rwc

Comment

for hunting this year if you have areas with very young growth put a stand in that area,, they will most likely not bother it,,, also the deer do like undisturbed areas to bed in also

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        In my experience, no skidder operator ever has the skill or the equipment to “fix a road”. They probably will try, but a skidder ain’t what’s needed to build proper water bars.
                        True, however the loggers should have a Dozer to repair roads. The crew that cut ours repaired the roads very well.

One more thing you need to look out for is the logging crew will have a rifle, somewhere they will have one. They will shoot a deer if given half a chance.

In the end, it will be great for the property and the deer. Browse will be at a max, expect the health of the deer to go up also.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          True, however the loggers should have a Dozer to repair roads. The crew that cut ours repaired the roads very well.

One more thing you need to look out for is the logging crew will have a rifle, somewhere they will have one. They will shoot a deer if given half a chance.

In the end, it will be great for the property and the deer. Browse will be at a max, expect the health of the deer to go up also.
                          10-4 thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Working...
                          X