Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone prefer skull mounts to shoulder mounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone prefer skull mounts to shoulder mounts?

I’m fortunate to get invited to a buddies’ family ranch in south Texas each year, but the family has a rule that you must pay to shoulder mount whatever you shoot. It’s a pretty good rule because it makes you think twice about killing a deer knowing that you’ll have to shell out some good cash to shoulder mount it.

Problem is that I’m not a huge fan of shoulder mounts. I already have a couple in my house and no where else to hang anymore. I prefer skull, or even nice antler mounts, to shoulder mounts because they just seem more authentic to me and they are easier to take off the wall and handle.

This ranch doesn’t allow guests to shoot does. Last couple of times I went thinking I would change my mind when a big buck walked out, but I didn’t and this year just I declined the invite.

Anyone else have the same opinion on mounts or rules about shoulder mounting?

Nope

Comment

I would be getting a nice new shoulder mount !!!!!!!

Comment

I have only done one shoulder mount, prefer the European.

Comment

I have one shoulder mount and a shop full of skull plates that need boards.
          If i shoot the big 10 im hunting ill have two shoulder mounts

Comment

I am a skull mount kind of guy.

-john

Comment

I really like that rule and we use it on one of our places. It’s a relatively small price to pay if it’s a deer you’re extremely happy with.

As far as the mounts, to each their own. Used to European just about every deer we didn’t get should mounted, now I just saw the horns off and have went back and sawed em off the majority of the European mounts I’ve done. I can do more with the antlers around the house than a bunch of skulls.

Comment

I prefer a european on a nice deer. I have a black buck shoulder mounted but unless I shoot a nice Axis or some other pretty animal probably just keep on doing euros or skull caps. The elk I shot this year would have been awesome as a shoulder mount but I just prefer a euro so he is getting euroed.

Comment

I only have one shoulder mount. If I had a place like that to take some of the deer like you have pictured I would definitely find a way to get them shoulder mounted. I think they are full of history and give you something beautiful to look at.

Comment

Have you talked to the owners about it and get their perspective on it? They may make an exception for you if you explain your thoughts to them and have been a good guest in the past.

Comment

I have plenty of shoulder mounts. Don't need any more.

I skull mount everything. I even skull mounted the 375 inch bull in my avatar.

Comment

I like both

Comment

I dont have the space for many shoulder mounts yet but it really depends on the hunt and the animal for me. I have two shoulder mounts (waiting on one of them) and will probably euro most other things until I have more space.

ETA 3 mounts if you count the javelina haha

Comment

Explain your dislike of shoulder mounts and offer to buy an equal dollar amount of corn for the ranch. All they want is to make sure you value the opportunity you’ve been given.

Comment

I think european mounts make the horns look bigger. When I shoot a buck that doesn't need this he will probably be shoulder mounted. But I really like that rule.

Comment

Working...
                              X