Pickled Red Onions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickled Red Onions

Anybody done them? I am ready to start doing after customer requests. Anyone have a great recipe? Tips or tricks? Figured I'd look here before going down the rabbit hole of youtube.

I typically just slice an onion of my choice. Put them I leftover pickled beet juice. No help. But that is my recipe. Lol

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
      I typically just slice an onion of my choice. Put them I leftover pickled beet juice. No help. But that is my recipe. Lol

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
      If they taste anything like beets, I'm out. But customers might like. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The above recipe is decent enough but I would highly recommend not using cider vinegar. White wine vinegar is what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Yeah, that's what I'm seeing on the net mostly. Just curious if anyone has any family recipes or unusual additions.

Comment

My wife basically does the above including the white wine vinegar suggestion. They are awesome.

Comment

Tagged. I’ve had so many good street tacos made with pickled red onions I’m going to try my own this year.

Comment

I basically make them as above but nix the sugar, use whole peppercorns and white vinegar and add a couple bay leaves and a sliced jalapeño.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                    I basically make them as above but nix the sugar, use whole peppercorns and white vinegar and add a couple bay leaves and a sliced jalapeño.
                    Thank you sir.

Comment

Here's what I do for my pickled eggs with onion and beats:
                      2 15oz cans of beats (I personally like the little round beats but sliced works great too)
                      1 cup water
                      1 cup cider vinegar
                      1 cup sugar
                      pickling spice (I don't measure this just eyeball it, about 3-4 T)

Drain beat juice into sauce pan, add water, sugar, vinegar, and pickling spice and bring to a boil.

Slice onions and put in a jar alternating layers of onions and beats.

I am NOT a beat person either but really like this recipe. I can try to get a pic tomorrow of what I have left in the fridge.

You can also add some boiled eggs to this and they turn a really cool purple color and have a great flavor.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Peel2 medium onions. Discard butts, save skin. Slice red onion 1/4 inch. Drain juice from jar of pickled jalapeños. Add onion slices and skins to juice. Add 1/4 cup kosher salt. Let sit in refrigerator at least 24 hours. Remove skins and serve.

Comment

Graysonhogs, where should a new customer go to buy pickled items from you?

Comment

Working...
                            X