Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy crap congrats to the hunter

Comment

That’s plumb crazy. Just makes me realize that I have no desire to go hunt something that could end up hunting me!
      He did a great job though.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
        Pretty sure it was the hunters decision to have guide at a distance. It is easier to get busted with two people as opposed to one when making final stalk.
        I think it took them 2 hrs to get set up & in position for the shot.
        No doubt a lot of risk involved but both are very experienced.
        You got it sir! Final stalks are really tough but you hope the angle leaves the guide a clear shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
          You got it sir! Final stalks are really tough but you hope the angle leaves the guide a clear shot.
          Had I been the guide, I would have advised the hunter to never shoot a bear quartering toward him. If he did and the bear ran toward him, I would have shot with a rifle. Miracle hes alive . Even on the second shot it could have gone bad

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Had I been the guide, I would have advised the hunter to never shoot a bear quartering toward him. If he did and the bear ran toward him, I would have shot with a rifle. Miracle hes alive . Even on the second shot it could have gone bad
            Agreed for the most part, but I would hope I am able to stay in the "valley of death" and done the same as that bowhunter. Rob Neilson shot his 2nd brownie at 12 yds but the setup was for a 26 yd quartering away or broadside shot. Big bears or any dangerous game don't always follow the script..[emoji3061]....thus, now or never situation.[emoji2962] Oh, his ph told him to lay flat as only way he could save him with a rifle shot was to shoot over his head if the bear charged. It was a decision my buddy was good with.[emoji817] Hopefully we get more info on this hunt as you never know from bad footage.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty sure it was the hunters decision to have guide at a distance. It is easier to get busted with two people as opposed to one when making final stalk.
              I think it took them 2 hrs to get set up & in position for the shot.
              No doubt a lot of risk involved but both are very experienced.
              Sorry- I can't agree with this Landrover or TexasTK. The guide's #1 job is client safety I don't care how many waivers-verbal discussions that hunter is "Ok with it" doing something unsafe. We can't control everything and crap happens I understand that but to risk what is obviously I very large known risk is unacceptable. I don't know this hunter but sounds like he has some notoriety and I hope that didn't play into the guide deciding to let him chance it Not sure if this hunter has a family but as a guide I can't imagine telling his wife and kids" sorry your husband/dad was killed and mauled by a bear, but hey he was ok with it". I'm glad we are only discussing the hypothetical here and not the tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                What I was told by the hunter the guide had him covered. Don’t know if he had a elevation advantage or what but he said he had a clear shot angle. I do know that the guide was milliseconds from pulling the trigger. Also the person videoing this was a long ways off recording it through a spotting scope. I am not going to second guess his first shot, the bear was getting very close & he took the best shot he had available. As you know even with a perfect broadside shot it still takes a while before the bear would have died so going to be dicey no matter what he did.

Comment

Epic Brown Bear Bowhunt Video

Beautiful bear!!! Will make a great mount. I think that was a ridiculous risk. However, when you factor the years involved in getting to that point, the money spent, the time practicing, the days/hrs waiting for a shot, and you are at your do-or-die moment, I bet that hunter was focused on putting that arrow where it needed to go, nothing else. Common sense and logic out the window. I bet it didn’t really register in his brain just how close that bear was. The guide however, should definitely have know that crap was about to go side ways and not allowed things to get that gnarly. It worked out, but it was a miracle it did. I think the bear probably couldn’t believe what was happening and too shocked to respond [emoji23].

That calm follow-up second shot is what impressed me the most. I’m sure I couldn’t have stilled my hands enough to nock another arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok so it's blatantly obvious that NO ONE on that job sight understood just exactly how dangerous that entire situation was!!! Especially the camera man.
                    The camera man sounded like he was filming some hot chick at the beach while she was taking her clothes off.. LMAO!!
                    That was nuts.. A definite near death situation.
                    Great bear though, dang.

Comment

What I was told by the hunter the guide had him covered. Don’t know if he had a elevation advantage or what but he said he had a clear shot angle. I do know that the guide was milliseconds from pulling the trigger. Also the person videoing this was a long ways off recording it through a spotting scope. I am not going to second guess his first shot, the bear was getting very close & he took the best shot he had available. As you know even with a perfect broadside shot it still takes a while before the bear would have died so going to be dicey no matter what he did.

Glad to know the guide had a clear shot at him. Honestly shocked he didn’t fire.

I sure wish the hunter had a go pro on him. Imagine how awesome that video would be.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                        Sorry- I can't agree with this Landrover or TexasTK. The guide's #1 job is client safety I don't care how many waivers-verbal discussions that hunter is "Ok with it" doing something unsafe. We can't control everything and crap happens I understand that but to risk what is obviously I very large known risk is unacceptable. I don't know this hunter but sounds like he has some notoriety and I hope that didn't play into the guide deciding to let him chance it Not sure if this hunter has a family but as a guide I can't imagine telling his wife and kids" sorry your husband/dad was killed and mauled by a bear, but hey he was ok with it". I'm glad we are only discussing the hypothetical here and not the tragedy.
                        That's fair but this entire discussion is well, hypothetical. Judging this bowhunt thru a blurry spotting scope video is discounting to the hunter & guide. Crap goes sideways ALOT with dangerous game hunts. Was the bear 3 paces or 13 paces away? [emoji848]Was the angle horrible or was the shot placed right in the crease. [emoji848] I doubt that video is showing any of that. The OP said, "the guide was milliseconds from pulling the trigger." Sounds like he knew the situation turned dire and was ready. As a client that is all I could ask in a moment like that. This ain't for everyone that bowhunts, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't look for that level of danger but I totally understand that things geaux sideways FAST......and more times than most may report.[emoji120]
                        Kongrats to that tandem for hanging in and being able to tell the tale.....for a lifetime!!![emoji106]

Comment

Holy crap!
                          Impressive.
                          Yea, some up close footage would have been awesome!

Comment

Dang son!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                              That's fair but this entire discussion is well, hypothetical. Judging this bowhunt thru a blurry spotting scope video is discounting to the hunter & guide. Crap goes sideways ALOT with dangerous game hunts. Was the bear 3 paces or 13 paces away? [emoji848]Was the angle horrible or was the shot placed right in the crease. [emoji848] I doubt that video is showing any of that. The OP said, "the guide was milliseconds from pulling the trigger." Sounds like he knew the situation turned dire and was ready. As a client that is all I could ask in a moment like that. This ain't for everyone that bowhunts, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't look for that level of danger but I totally understand that things geaux sideways FAST......and more times than most may report.[emoji120]
                              Kongrats to that tandem for hanging in and being able to tell the tale.....for a lifetime!!![emoji106]

Agree 100%

Comment

There is no way I would've been able to pull either one of those shots off. Your buddy has nerves of steel.

Comment

Working...
                                X