Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riddle me this Electric vehicle supporters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
    Some of us have a nuanced view that is lost in these all or nothing threads. We can respect electric vehicles for the awesomeness they are, the power they have, the ease of maintenance they are, the lack of moving parts, as well as recognize the downside of them, which is it puts a bigger strain on the power grid, burns more coal, uses more precious metals, the batteries are a huge pollutant, I could keep going.

Bottom line is, there will be no electric vehicles in 15 years. There will be tons of hybrids though, all of which make more power than any current electric or diesel vehicle could ever dream. The free market will sort this out as soon as battery prices come down. And it's going to be awesome.
    ^^^ Agreed.

When Elon invests in natural gas that tells you all you need to know. Hybrids are the future. If not for subsidies we would be further along on both sides in figuring that out as a society.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

is it a crazy thought that, eventually, the power grid will catch up to the demands of the market?

I'm not to big into EV or interested in them, but I do think they will be a lot more common in the future.

Progress takes time, and I reckon this issue will follow suit.

Comment

I've been told by engineers that there is no way for our system to meet the requirements if we all had electric cars. Gotta love the people who dream up these crazy ideas that put the cart before the horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastechred View Post
          I've been told by engineers that there is no way for our system to meet the requirements if we all had electric cars. Gotta love the people who dream up these crazy ideas that put the cart before the horse.
          You engineers are have everyone in electric cars ~20 years from now, but compare it to the present day system as to why it won't work?

Comment

By the end of this century you will have our grandchildren laughing at how we thought combustion engines and fossil fuels were the pinnacle of automobiles. I'm not a proponent of electric vehicles, but unless you want to start a car company there is no way to avoid what is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
              You engineers are have everyone in electric cars ~20 years from now, but compare it to the present day system as to why it won't work?
              We "could" fly everyone to the moon within 20 years also. It's more a matter of is it worth it?

People have two gripes about electric cars IMO
              1. Green people just are not honest, at all. As mentioned earlier in this thread just lay the facts out there. I just assume when they don't tell the truth they know if they did people wouldn't buy what they're selling.

2. Most conservatives like capitalism. Let it run it's course. How many billions have we thrown at alt energy over the last 50 years? IMO we've wasted so much pushing this that it will take 200 years to pay off.

Right now if I could blank everything out I'd say just be honest and stop spending so much of my tax dollars. Then I'd have no issues with electric cars.

Comment

One thing that worries me is like wind turbine generators - to this day they can't even cover their own carbon footprint. Yet we have windfarms all over. Landfills are being filled with the equipment. The process for making batteries for EV's requires coal fired manufacturing so are you really saving the planet or just hiding the prob elsewhere. Lithium mines are some of the most polluting. Disposing of spent batteries is another issue. Don't get me wrong not against it but gotta get it right first.(JMO)

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                  Oh Oh Oh Flash, Ford says you can run your house on their new electric truck...lol
                  That was a total BS marketing ploy. They even said "up to" 3 days. With no context on how much the average home uses, or what you would need to unplug to get your usage down to, to actually make that work.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                    Electric can’t keep up with petroleum.

What person wants to cook on an electric stove vs gas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Me, LOL. I use an induction cooktop and it's the best thing since, well, all best things.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                      Me, LOL. I use an induction cooktop and it's the best thing since, well, all best things.

Lol. Only thing I don’t like about my electric cooktop is the fact I have to use flat pots and pans or it doesn’t cook right.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        We "could" fly everyone to the moon within 20 years also. It's more a matter of is it worth it?

People have two gripes about electric cars IMO
                        1. Green people just are not honest, at all. As mentioned earlier in this thread just lay the facts out there. I just assume when they don't tell the truth they know if they did people wouldn't buy what they're selling.

2. Most conservatives like capitalism. Let it run it's course. How many billions have we thrown at alt energy over the last 50 years? IMO we've wasted so much pushing this that it will take 200 years to pay off.

Right now if I could blank everything out I'd say just be honest and stop spending so much of my tax dollars. Then I'd have no issues with electric cars.
                        Sloyndra comes to mind

Comment

How’s this gonna work when you go on vacation or to a hunting lease? Driving from Houston to my old lease was 325 each way, not counting driving at the lease. Guess it would be able to be powered from a 30 or 50amp RV plug.

Probably won’t work for my trips to the Frio River though, and definitely not for Florida? Sounds like a Ford Lightning will be a good buy for a “city boy” that wants to trade in his “never off roaded” Raptor or jacked up F-250 Powerstroke.

As for me, I’ll keep rolling in my 2001 Powerstroke until the wheels fall off. Then I’ll buy some new wheels.

Comment

Some of you guys are making ridiculous arguments. If you buy a vehicle knowing it won’t fit your needs then you’re an idiot.

Comment

I am interested in an electric vehicle. I do have some concerns and won't be an early adopter, but there is a lot to like IMO if/when the infrastructure gets worked out. Also battery prices will be interesting. I do like that F150 though

Comment

Working...
                              X