No announcement yet.

Water pipe help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP I feel you. Got your problem times 2 dozen. Last two days been wrapping out side faucets and installing electric heat tape where I can on rent houses. Don't have much faith in it.

Comment

I would turn off the main to the house and drain all lines and find somewhere else to stay for 4 or 5 days. You may think that is crazy but it might be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
        I would turn off the main to the house and drain all lines and find somewhere else to stay for 4 or 5 days. You may think that is crazy but it might be a lot cheaper in the long run.
        I would if I could, however I-10 is shut down and every hotel, B&B
        Ect, is booked solid or having freezing problems themselves , unless we head for San Antonio, my grandparents lived in the house before me , wish they and my mom were still alive to ask them what they did since 1930’s

Comment

I'm in the same boat... I've heat taped mine. Added insulation and have a couple lamps shining under the crawlspace. Ill open cabinets and will leave the faucets half running both hot and cold, its the best I can do! If it bust ill just shut the main asap, sheesh

Comment

I don't think you will have any problems at all. Our first house was on pier and beam. In "83 it got down to 2 degrees and was never over 8 degrees for 5 days and not one pipe froze or even quit flowing and I didn't drip a single faucet.

Comment

Following

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I replaced all of the pvc with PEX that isn't supposed to bust 2 years ago but i am worried about the copper fittings failing at this temperature. The drip method is great in theory but being on a well if we lose power there will be no more drip!

Comment

probably could wrap some outdoor Christmas lights under there.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                    I don't think you will have any problems at all. Our first house was on pier and beam. In "83 it got down to 2 degrees and was never over 8 degrees for 5 days and not one pipe froze or even quit flowing and I didn't drip a single faucet.
                    Is your name LUCKY

Comment

Just left faucets trickle and open cabinets under sinks. You are way over thinking it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
                        probably could wrap some outdoor Christmas lights under there.

Good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m thinking a few midgets and some wool socks.....

Comment

Probably a good ideal to buy some pvc pipe and fittings this week because next week when things start to thaw out it will be harder to get than toliet paper was.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Our pier and beam house has an outer concrete wall with vents. I covered the vents (first time in 9 years) and just measured the crawl space at 52*. It's been in the 20's here for a couple days.

That air trapped between the earth and the warm house is warmer than I thought.

Comment

For those of you shutting your water off, and it really isn’t practical or possible to drain or blow out your lines, you need to leave your faucets open. Water may freeze in your pipes, but the volume expansion of ice is not what breaks water lines and fittings. They are broken due to the increased pressure in closed lines, which can easily increase several hundred psi. Leaving the faucets open will leave your lines at atmospheric pressure and they may freeze, but won’t break.

Comment

Working...
                                X