Abbot and suppressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abbot and suppressor?

So with the new law passing how does the made in Texas suppressor work? If it’s still a federal law on suppressors but Texas would allow it? So would need a federal law enforcement to arrest you vs local? Confused on that.

I hate carrying my paperwork and crap and wish it was regulated like a normal firearm.

Scott

The new law doesn’t really do much of anything. It’s a written reminder to the federal government that Congress only has authority to regulate INTERSTATE commerce.

Items manufactured/sold in a state, from materials obtained within that state, constitute INTRASTATE commerce and may not be regulated by Congress (so long as they remain in that state).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

are there any "made in texas" suppressors on the market yet?

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
        are there any "made in texas" suppressors on the market yet?
        yes

Comment

Originally posted by DK1555 View Post
          yes

Who? Where?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Who? Where?
            I have the same questions!!

Comment

Dark Horse, Texas
              Torrent, Texas
              Revolutionary, Texas

Comment

If the bill is signed it still does not go into effect til September I believe.

Comment

Texas Silencer Company in Weatherford is another manufacturer in Texas.

It will still be regulated under federal law and there are stipulations that will be in place as well.

Mainly nothing more than a symbolic gesture. Pandering if you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

F1 Firearms has stated that if the bill is signed into law they will sell a suppressor to the public without the federal paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                      F1 Firearms has stated that if the bill is signed into law they will sell a suppressor to the public without the federal paperwork.
                      Good deal. Looks like we have a guinea pig. Now to see if the alphabet boys are as lenient on supressors as they have been with weed.

Comment

The Texas legislature has eased restrictions on firearm suppressors and paved the way for Texas-made suppressors to skirt Washington’s grasp.
                        House Bill (HB) 957 would trim away federal regulation around suppressors in Texas, forbidding cities and counties from enforcing federal suppressor laws and asserting that Texas-made suppressors are not subject to federal regulation. It has passed both chambers of the Texas legislature.

State Rep. Tom Oliverson (R-Cypress), a physician, presented both medical and legal reasons for his bill. Oliverson said suppressors can help prevent hearing damage, a benefit especially for hunters that forego ear protection to better hear their surroundings.

The major regulation on suppressors comes from the National Firearms Act of 1934, motivated at least in part by gangland slaughters like the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. Under this law, suppressors must be approved and registered at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Suppressor buyers must also pay a $200 transfer fee to the ATF and provide their fingerprints and photograph, unless they form a trust to register, which can cost hundreds of dollars more.

Under Oliverson’s bill, Texas-made suppressors would avoid this regulation. Suppressors manufactured here, stamped with a “Made in Texas” mark, would not be subject to federal law.

More broadly, the bill would also forbid state and local governments from enforcing federal laws regarding suppressors if they conflict with Texas law. The state, its agencies, all municipalities, district attorneys, and even higher education systems would all be prohibited from enforcing federal suppressor laws.

Here, the bill directs the Texas attorney general to seek a judgment from a federal court that this section of the bill would not conflict with the U.S. Constitution.

The process to seek this ruling would begin at the individual level. A private citizen would have to file a complaint with the attorney general that a government body has taken action to enforce federal suppressor laws.

Current Texas law says that mere ownership of a working suppressor is a third-degree felony unless it complies with federal regulation. Oliverson’s bill would strike this line entirely.

The Senate passed HB 957 on a party-line vote, 18 to 13. However, the House passed it 95 to 51 with some bipartisan support from Democrats. Reps. Bobby Guerra (D-McAllen), Joe Deshotel (D-Port Arthur), and Sergio Muñoz (D-Mission) joined 11 other Democrats in voting for the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                          For sure!
                          I'll be there when the doors open.

Comment

Wonder how that would work with Form1 builds. If your obtained material in state and manufactured it yourself and then stamped “made in Texas”

Comment

I need to make plans to be at F1 Firearms on September 1st. They don’t have many on their website though.
                              Last edited by AntlerCollector; 06-17-2021, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X